We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

There are a lot of things we will be passing on whilst away but today my other half was sorting his sock drawers ... yes drawers!! He is more of a clothes fanatic than I will ever be and because he is currently on a phase for patterned socks he has cleared out 2 doz pairs of plain socks he has worn only once or twice and they are near perfect and all M&S quality ... now in our culture we just would not think of putting socks in a charity bag BUT these are in such good condition would it be considered insulting to offer these to anyone? No good for kids as they are size 10!!!

Now the dreaded word ..... toothbrushes! We were looking at the amazing 2 for 10p packs in asda but then "Sir" said whats the point of giving toothbrushes if they cannot afford toothpaste .. good point maybe so is it worth taking them.

I also noticed Asda are doing packs of 10 stick on San Pads for only 14p and they are so light we can easily pack these so would they be a good option?

Always more questions it seems :)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Hi, old socks? no problem, I always take a couple of half dozen packs to wear, and give away before leaving. I do the same with underware.

Toothbrushes? no problem you dont HAVE to use toothpaste, thats just a decadent "first world" extravagance.

Pads, ideal, as long as they can easily be burnt to dispose of.

Ivan

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Take the socks !!!! they will be accepted -but never secondhand underwear - even if its Janet Reager !!!

it is ilegal to buy or accept secondhand undergarments ..... many of the senior school children have size ten feet -The pads are Ok and as you say they are a bargain - perhaps a few packets of Primark cotton knickers? [6 x £2]........ even if there is no money for paste the brush still works !!!

In Nawal Centre they sell childrens cotton pants for 20/- per pair ..so if your running out of room buy them here ..

opposite the Mombasa Town Batta shoe shop is the Hair & beauty shop here a large box full ( 200) of Always only costs around £20 ..very nice gift for a school.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Hi. well, didnt realise second hand kegs not allowed in Kenya. No problem in Malawi (washed, of course), but then Kenya is more advanced. I live and learn. I get inundated with requests for u/pants (and socks, and T shirts, and,trainers, and,and,---) from the curio vendors, who usually have none at all.

Have you ever seen 2 people fight over a carrier bag? thats poverty!

Ivan

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Second hand underwear was banned in 2008? I believe

mainly because of disease !!

Mind you -it is a pity because it used to be quite funny watching one of the locals [ Shanzu} come into the bar at night with several bra`s on a pole selling them - and around his wrist were knickers! - well better than around his ankles lol!!!

Mentioned in this post
Shanzu
Shanzu
Mombasa, Kenya
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Yet they hire out time and time again those horrible unwashed swimsuits on Bamburi beach.

Mentioned in this post
Bamburi Beach
Bamburi Beach
360 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

Yes I see those hanging there, and when I asked about it I was told "it isnt underwear" Now -what could be closer [ other than knickers - to your tuppence than a swimsuit? Barmy laws !!

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

I had visitors staying recently and after they left, our girls came up to my flat to ask what the visitors had left. They were particularly interested in toiletries because they said that the local ones are not as good as imported!! Half bottles of shampoo were willingly taken and anything else I could find.

Socks, definitely "yes".

8. Re: Old clothes, toiletries etc advice on what to give away???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 07:16