We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

We've been given a price by a local operator for July next year, 3 nights £1100 for two of us to Severin safari camp, Ol Tukai and Galdessa camp.

OR

3 nights for two of us Voi Wildlife lodge, Kibo and Ngulia for £850.

What do you think of these prices?

Mombasa,Kenya
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

if u want to test the price. Throw the programme to all the operators on the contact list and watch out the price difference. they you will know if you got the best price.

kenya
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

The places are prices are good, July is starting of high season . Would advice you to save more and take the first option to avoid accommodation outside the parks. Both voi wildlife lodge and Kibo are on the peripheries and this tends to consume on your time for game watching.

I do not have anything against the facilities though.

Chat

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

The first option is offering you really good value at some very good camps and lodges. Option 2 is nowhere near as good. For the sake of £125 each, there's no comparison.

But if you want this, I'd say fix it now, while guaranteeing some automatic compensation (travel insurance?) if anything goes belly up in the meantime. By next July park prices could have gone up once again, lodges and camps closed and companies gone bust. Not to mention exchange rates. . .

But I'd be very pleased with this!

Richard

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

Thanks so much for the replies chaps. I thought it sounded like a good price.

The quote I got wasn't from one of my preferred operators and I was a bit suspicious that they might not be reliable. I think I'll have to contact some others and see if they can match it or come close.

Yankari - Can you fix a price at the time of booking? Surely the operator can put the price up between now and next July if park fees/lodge prices/dollar fluctuations alter.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

silver

I don't know, it's worth a try, surely. They'd have your money up front, after all.

Richard

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

Fixing the price gets in to whether or not you trust the operator. Is it one of the well known opeartors? What kind of reputation do they have? Do they have a posted policy for their pricing? Larger operators can fix the price because they go ahead and buy up the rooms at lodges knowing that they can sell them to tourists. That is why it is so hard to get rooms later in the season (normally), and why it seems that groups from companies like Pullmans seem to always get the good rooms. It is because the big companies have bought the rooms many months in advance and do it year after year. The lodges are not about to do anything to upset the big tour companies because such a large part of their bookings come from them.

So, back to your question about fixing the price. If you can get a guarantee that your tour operator will not raise the price, or will not raise it more than some reasonable amount between now and then, say 6%, a deposit would be a good idea. When I am taking a large group we usually put up a 20% deposit to hold the rooms and price, usually about 6 months in advance.

7. Re: Safari Price - Tsavo/Amboseli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 06:22