We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinewood - all inclusive - odd review ???

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pinewood - all inclusive - odd review ???

Now I know everyone keeps saying dont expect euro standards in kenyan hotels but the most recent posting re all inclusive at Pinewood has me a little perturbed as there are some basics one expects. Here is an extract from the review which I would add has positive as well as negative issues.

"There were a number of things that we could not fully comprehend, why no shower gel or tissues were provided in the rooms, why there were some strange exclusions to the all inclusive tarrif ie ice creams and bottled water, how they could run out of coffee for the room"

The water issue concerns me as a diabetic who also takes a lot of medications as most of my drinking is either diet drinks 30% and water 70%. The shower stuff, well we have our own but have never been in a hotel room that doesnt provide tissues.

For those that have stayed there ALL have they found the above to be the case?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinewood - all inclusive - odd review ???

"why no shower gel or tissues were provided in the rooms".

I have never stayed in an all inclusive before around Mombasa & the coast but I think it's the norm for guests to buy their own shower gel, tissues & bottled water.

There are supermarkets between the Barclays Centre & Pinewood, you will need to stop to buy some mosquito spray anyway.

Even when I stayed at Hotel Kipepo at Nairobi (4000Ksh per night) one was expected to supply ones own shower gel, soap, tissues & bottled water.

(On the plus side the beach at Pinewood Village is stunning!)

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinewood - all inclusive - odd review ???

Nic

No disrespect to your post, but it's certainly *not* the norm for guests at AIs or any hotels in Kenya, even down to the most basic Boarding & Lodging, to buy their own soap or shower gel. I think your experience at the Kipepo in Nairobi (don't know this one) is very unusual.

Tissues, okay not always, perhaps, but frankly I can't remember not. Bottled water, always, without exception, in tourist-class places (either that or sterile water from a flask).

But I would ask RobboElviria of Epsom who wrote the review if s/he had *asked* the Pinewood to provide shower gel, tissues and water. In my experience, what can seem like a strange omission, is usually just a room attendant being forgetful.

Blueamber, why don't you drop the the Pinewood a line and check. They're extremely helpful.

Richard

frontoffice@pinewood-village.com

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinewood - all inclusive - odd review ???

I have checked, have spoken on issues to the owner himself and recent visitors. Quite a few who have posted recent reviews have told me they marked it as wonderful because of the welcome, assistance of staff etc but several felt a little let down by some penny pinching issues in the rooms and even though we have upgraded to executive suite apparently only Soap is provided no shower Gel, no tissues and even on ALL you are given just 1 Litre of water in your room per day, for cleaning teeth, making coffee etc.

Now we booked the hotel on its description of a 4star plus award winning luxury boutique establishment in the brochure. I was quite clear to Kuoni when we enquired about hotels that we wanted somewhere with excellent standards and the person I spoke to actually advised Pinewood over the Serena. Now when I queried some things after a posting regarding some other problems re damp etc the actual owner mailed me and said if we expected such high standards he suggested we either upgrade to executive suite from junior suite as these were the only two rooms with full air conditioning or he said to get the standard then the only way was to change our booking to somewhere like the serena.

He was very polite in the way he said things and said the hotel goes out of its way to satisfy guests BUT he was not a luxury establishment so the impression I have now gleaned is the hotel sells itself mostly from the lovely nature of the staff and accordingly i hope that is what makes our holiday too and some of the things we have taken for granted on other holidays will suddenly not matter at all any more.

I was also surprised to find recently that even having upgraded to what we were told was his very best accomodation to be told we even had to pay a daily use for use of a safe. The rate advised by the owner for the upgrade for a couple was £40 per room per night, an extra £400 so we expected room basics for this extra. I ultimately took this up with Kuoni,Our agent then came back to us and said that they admitted they may have made some errors and as there was not the availability at the Serena for our dates that they would subsidise the upgrade by 65%.

Now, even when we stayed in small establisments in Southern India, where their is also local poverty and we paid half the rate we are paying in Kenya for accomodation we never went to a place that did not provided unlimited bottled water in the rooms and, soap, shapoo and shower gel and even face cloths not just a bar of Lux soap. They are provided in the Serena Nairobi and at Governors Camp other places we will be staying.

We have our own toiletries etc etc, its not a case of penny pinching and with only a week to go before we leave Im really hoping to get kenya addiction but at the end of the day I do feel that a hotel should provide what is the average for a classification.

I will probably annoy some people by this post as everyone is so fiercely loyal but as many have said expectations are different and sometimes when you have not been to a place before you do rely on what tour companies say to you. Maybe our faith in their knowledge has just been lucky with 100% advice on all our travels in the far east. Sorry this is so long but as so many often say sometimes you have to tell all to try and explain why you think the way you do.

4. Re: Pinewood - all inclusive - odd review ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 05:17