We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

Köllefornia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

Im flying to NBO with KLM in October, staying in Kenya for around 2 weeks and then flying on to Kigali .. With KLM from Amsterdam I can take 2 pieces of luggage up to 40 Kilos in total..

Just checked with Kenya Airways and it says on their website that they charge 50 Euros if one item weighs more than 23 Kilos and 150 EUROS for every extra item of luggage????

Has anyone any experience in dealing with this? Since I´ll be in Kigali for 3 months I need to pack quite a lot..

Rwandair Express seems to be a bit more reasonable, charging $3 per Kilo, although this is also subject to change, whatever that means. Would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on how rigorous they are with this. Or is it possible to send luggage on per plane?

Cheers

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

The 23 kilo reference is a health and safetly limit not a luggage allowance limit. Airlines can offer you a greater overall allowance, as I beleive KQ do, but each individual bag must not exceed 23kg, as this is the weight deemed appropriate for one man to carry, anything heavier requires two men, which is why the airlines charge extra, to discourage us all using gigantic bags!

I am sure the 150 Euros must refer to additional bags over and above the c40kilos you are allocated.

If anyone can counter this information with more accurate details please feel free, but this is my understanding of the system.

Köllefornia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

Thanks, that makes sense.. not wanting staff to lift luggage over 23 or 32 kilos etc.. (see link below).

However it does state quite clearly 50 Euros for 23-32 Kilos and 150 for every extra piece not exceeding the max. weight and size..

kenya-airways.com/home/…default.aspx

Have contacted them per online query via their website, but havent been getting any replies.

Köllefornia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

They do have new luggage rules posted on the website effective as of Oct 08, however this applies to flights FROM Europe only apparently and as mentioned I will have a stopover of two weeks in NBO, so I dont think these apply to my case:(

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

Hi,

You are allowed 2 pieces of luggage, up to a total weight of 46 kgs, however an individual piece must not weigh more than 23 kg - that is what the excess baggage charge is referring to, if the piece is more than 32 kg they will not take it at all

kenya-airways.com/home/…default.aspx

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

PS - the €150 refers to additional pieces of luggage over the 2 you are allowed.

Köllefornia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

right, i saw that, thanks.. :) i posted that link myself ^^ ;) the qs is whether this applies after a 2 week stopover in kenya, since whats written in that link applies to flights FROM europe only.. and ill be flying on from NBO to Kigali..

Köllefornia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

cheers, i think i might give KLM a call just to be sure.. cant reach anyone at KQ

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

I had to ring Kenya Airways with a seating query this morning and it took me some time and patience to get through BUT in the end, third time I did manage it. I use 02082831818 - ignore all the other options but press button 9 on your phone and then just wait and wait through all the messages.

There is an issue with broken journeys as i have spoken to them quite extensively and from the final discussion they said this can be overcome but there has to be a special coding on your ticket. Ultimately I think without doubt the best thing is to hang on in there to speak to them as different operatives seems to give out different information.

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

Have responded on Rwanda forum.

10. Re: 150 Euros for Excess Baggage on Kenya Airways??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 07:21