We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Operators in Kenya

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Operators in Kenya

Hello,

I would like to know how relaible are K.A.L.T.O tour operators ( Kenya Association Of Local Tour Operators ) This is an association of small and medium sized companies of Tour Operators registered in Kenya and licensed by Kenya's Ministry of Tourismn.

Are they as reliable as the members of KATO?

Just want to make sure before I send advance payment to a tour operator.

Thanks in advance!

Nairobi
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

I have been ripped off by a KATO member, a strong one that sits in the board. I got no redress because I am local and my efforts were simply frustrated.

My advice is that you confirm on their website that they are members, in which case you have a good chance to follow them up through the association and the Ministry of Tourism.

Most operators are honest and avoid brushes with the law. A good reference from a third party also helps since it is not entirely strange to find someone who is after your money or one who simply needs to cover up for costing mistakes they have made.

All the best with your trip plans.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

Beladinev

I don't think they'd be any *less* reliable.

There are some trusted names on their members list:

http://www.kalto.org/members.html

But also one or two much less trusted. And a lot of so-called tour operators that don't even have email addresses here, much less websites.

Who are you planning to send money to. If any forum members have experience of your operator, they'll get back to you immediately I'm sure.

Richard

Frankfurt Main
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

DelNov/Yankari

Thanks for your comments, I am still waiting for couple of offers. I will definitely check with other members. Thanks again

4. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 10:35
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

Am I smelling fish here? Every post recommends All Seasons.

Please expand on why you are recommending them otherwise we may think you are self-promoting.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

I was thinking the same thing, I was about to say something on the 'Itinerary' thread which is the only one he doesn't recommend All Seasons but still sounds like an agent suggesting an itinerary and KATO. The posting on 'January safari' does not fit with the other posts either with the knowledge of camps it shows, but it still gets the plug in.

7. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 07:35
8. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya

>>I am planning a safari for 7 days to Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru in the

1st week of Nov 2009. I am been getting lots of offers from tour operators such as 'all seasons', 'victoria safari's & tours', 'menengai holidays, 'kentan safari'. Has anyone ever heard of these names? They are asking for 100% payment from me, which is a massive investment. I am only been emailing with these people. How to transfer such a huge amount to someone I don't even know..!!?

<<

Can't comment re the specific tour operators (though All Seasons is mentioned regularly... do a search on this board for more info), but since you'll be traveling in about 2/weeks, and most operators require full payment by 60/days prior arrival... wanting full payment is not unusual.

Once you decide on the itinerary you want from the tour operator you choose, they'll provide details for your bank wire transfer - name of their bank, account number, Swift Code (this routes your payment to the correct account), etc. You will be responsible for all costs assessed by your bank associated with the wire transfer.

10. Re: Tour Operators in Kenya