We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reps Welcome Meeting

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Reps Welcome Meeting

There was a post on here about these meetings. Many people said they did not go as they had already booked safaris/trips etc with local operators.

Surely the travel reps (or holiday advisors, as they now like to be called) tell you about other things besides trying to sell you trips, especially useful for people who haven't visited Kenya before.

I've just come back from Greece, visited lots of times before, but was still interested by some of the local knowledge that our rep imparted to us.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

silversurf reps are there to sell you as much as they can at inflated prices so they can boost their income and do not have your intests at heart get your infomation from locals enjoy kenya skipman

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

That may be the case in Kenya Skipman, but I can't agree that it is always so.

Our Greek rep was always happy to chat and tell us about bus times, shops etc even though we didn't buy any trips or our car hire from her. There used to be a Thomson rep in the Domincan Republic whose sole job was visiting the local hospitals and helping tourists with translations and liasing with insurance companies. Very useful when you land up in hospital with a broken leg, believe me.

I have, however, come across some really useless reps who I wouldn't trust to look after my goldfish for a week, let alone a few hundred tourists. Perhaps you have been unlucky.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

silversurf we used thompsons our very first trip to kenya many years ago since that first year we have always booked independantly of tour opperators . just one thing to let you know that first year we did not attend the reps meeting or buy any trips from her when we arrived at mombassa for our return flight to the uk we had been cancelled off the flight .we did get back ok and after investigations by thompsons the rep was sacked she had perposly not confirmed our return flight so be warned perhaps you could call that unlucky just speaking from personal experence as i said we do not use tour companys anymore and we are back again this year 27 dec enjoy kenya skipman

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

Hi siversurf,

Only ever attended one meeting on our first trip to Kenya.

I introduce myself too Rep at the Airport and inform them we are going to hotel by taxi (so the coach doesn't wait for us).

Tell them that we won't be attending meeting as it is our xth visit to Kenya and will be doing our own thing.

I talk to them if I bump into them during the holidays. Don't believe in burning bridges - you never know if you might need them.

Let them know the day before depature that we are going back to airport by taxi.

Usually end up seeing them at airport and saying goodbye.

Met three Thomson/First Choice reps at airport on our way home this year. Never used them but knew them all and said jambo to them all.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

skipman. What a spiteful thing for your rep to do. Glad to hear she was sacked.

westwoodboy. Is a taxi very expensive from the airport and what is the advantage of this except to save a few minutes?

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

Silversurfer

Where are you staying and who are you going with (tour company) and I will try to answer you ?

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

Going with Thomson to Voyager Beach. Thanks westwoodboy. Much appreciated.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

Hi silversurf

Went with Thomson's to Voyager last January and are going again this January.

How muxch time you save depends on how long it takes the last people for the Voyager to clear Immigration and Customs and get to the coach.

although it is only about a 25 mins drive we got to the hotel, chrecked-in, had breakfast and got into our rooms before the coach arrived. We were over an hour in front of the coach.

The other advantage is you don't have to endure the group check-in.

A taxi costs about 1200-1300 kshs. We always book one to meet us at airport.

We also use one to go back to the airport.

9. Re: Reps Welcome Meeting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2010, 05:17