We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

I was home from Kenya 8 days when i started to feel a bit iffy. As im prone to upset tums I didnt take much notice at first but after a few days I might as well have camped out in the bathroom ... have barely left the house in over a week it has not been pleasant.

Gp insisted on tests and it seems I bought back a couple of parasites one of which was Giardia lamblia - mostly got from infected water. Just as likely from a pool as well as anywhere else it seems.

This nasty little fella can stay dormant for up to a month after infection so if you start getting travelers tum some time after hols its worth getting checked out as without traetment its unlikey to go away.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

I'm very curious as you mentioned this could have been from a pool. When I was in Kenya last March, my doctor suggested I not swim in any pools, even at the nicest lodges, because, well according to her, "we don't know how they treat their water". All the pools looked crystal clear. But I didn't go in. I'm headed back in January and I know it will be hot like before and want to be able to take a cool dip. I have a very sensitive stomach as well, but on my last trip, I had no problems at all. I drank only bottled water (including brushing teeth) and didn't eat any lettuce salads. I did have plenty of fresh fruits (pineapple and mellon) and fresh tomatoes with cheese and herbs. I was taking doxycycline for malaria and I don't know if this helped fend off any bugs. When I was on a cruise the year before, I starting getting sick the day I returned, with similar symptoms to you, and ended up in the hospital having IV fluids. They did all sorts of tests for parasites, viruses, bugs, you name it, but nothing showed up. I guess I'm wondering about the pools and if you think they should be avoided. When I was in Kenya before, I saw people around the pools, but not in them. I figured even if they were not heated, just the ambient temperature was enough at that time of the year to make them refreshing.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

Its not the pools themselves that cause the problem it seems more the fact that you might have someone with a bit of a tummy bug using the pool and it then gets into that and it seems that the bug is very good at surviving in water. The pool were we were was spotless one of the cleanest pools we have ever used on our travels and apparently with a very sophisticated filter system but it was not obviously highly chlorinated compared to many we have been in.

Its not an easy thing to keep people who might have a minor tummy upset out of the water, especially children when swimming may be such an integral part of the holiday. My GP said that if we were being really strict about bottled water then it was most likely picked up from a pool or by eating contaminated foods or drinks. The hotel was very adamant on arrival that they only used filtered water for all cooking, ice etc which certainly was the case with all food we saw being prepared so i dont think there were problems there.

Also it highlights the requirement for your own hygiene being paramount, I kept hand gel with me to sanitise after using toilets etc BUT if some little demon is out to get you then they will. I would stress that I have a slightly knackered immune system which makes it easier for me to pick up nasties than many. I certainly wouldnt let it stop me swimming again in the future when away, I was just unlucky but also lucky that my GP had the foresight to send away samples for testing.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

Some People are NOT clean ......... dont give a toss for their own hygiene regards washing their hands after toilet use - let alone worry about whether there poopy bottom isnt clean enough .

I have heard on many an occasion woman using their bowels - then coming straight out of the lav - no hands washed then jump into a swimming pool .. Cant speak for the men - I cant see over the stalls !!!!

In this enviroment we all owe it to ourselves and fellow guest to take extra care of our hygeine ..

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

couldn't agree more Edna

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
797 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

I am also very prone to stomach upsets and had read on Goa forums about probiotics. Thought I would give them a go earlier this year in Goa and for the whole month we were there, not a stomach upset at all. We are off to Kenya January 2010 and probiotic tablets will definately be in my medicine bag together with the Malarone.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
797 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

I am also very prone to stomach upsets and had read on Goa forums about probiotics. Thought I would give them a go earlier this year in Goa and for the whole month we were there, not a stomach upset at all. We are off to Kenya January 2010 and probiotic tablets will definately be in my medicine bag together with the Malarone.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

"Goa Forums"? Not sure what that is, maybe gastrointestinal? I've not heard of probiotics in a tablet form. Only seen it in yogurts here like Activia. I'd sure like to know more about them. Blueamber, well, at least it waited until you got home. Nothing like an upset stomach on safari. I also have a bit of an immune system disturbance and maybe I should rethink the pools. It was so hot when I was there before, that I usually took 2 or 3 showers (quick ones just to cool off) per day. In Amboseli, out tent temperature "cooled" down to 95 during the day. I took 4 there and felt terribly guilty using the water. I was also glad to have lots of liquid hand sanitizer and those wet wipes on my trip. When gathering my stuff together, I have already gathered even more of those. I found those wipes incredibly handy after just wiping my hands in the vehicle, they would stay damp for a little while. I'd drape it loosely over the long camera lens and the cloth attracted the dust and kept the camera cleaner. Dual purpose is always good when packing space is limited.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

I just looked up that bug and it said that Giardia cysts are resistant to conventional water treatment methods such as chlorination and ozonolysis. Ok, maybe I'll skip packing the swimsuit.

leics
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

Ah. but cooling off in the pool is a great way to avoid heat stroke and dehydration - which can also manifest as a stomach upset...

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dont overlook upset tum when you come back off hols!

as can the side effects of anti-malarials