We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salaries in Kenya

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Salaries in Kenya

Interesting story here about salaries (at least those that are published). They range from less than Ksh10,000 a month in the hotel industry (about £1200/year) up to Ksh3.9million as the country's top-paid CEO (about £400,000/year).

allafrica.com/stories/200911060980.html

Richard

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Hi, wages in African countries are unbelievably low. I once got to talk to a Malawian in the bar of a major hotel on the shores of lake Malawi. It transpired that he was the area medical officer. ( he was the guest of the hotel manager, otherwise he would not have been there) He was on call 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, he was provided with acommodation. his pay? £55 per month. needless to say, as soon as his contract was completed, he was off. No surprise there is a shortage of doctors! The legal minimum wage in Malawi is 157 Kwacha a day, at 140 to the $, A labourer may earn 300MK a day if he is lucky. How they manage to live, AND maintain a family is beyond my comprehension. It's no surprise that petty theft is common.

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Hi again WE simply could not survive in these circumstances. It's no surprise that the infant mortality rate is so high. In a BBC program some time back, an African/English news reporter tried to live with a family in a typical African village. After a couple of weeks the project doctor insisted that he give up, as he was becoming dangerously undernourished due to the lack of food, and the backbreaking work he was having to do to earn his wages.

To reiterate what Edna says, it is absolutely essential that the work that is done by all the good people continue, until mindsets change, corruption is eliminated; agricultural practices become much more efficient, old traditional farming/livestock methods change. Impossible? Probably, but for now there is no alternative to continue helping as best we can.

Ivan

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Goodness I did not realise that stuff was that expensive. Do the hotels not help out in anyway? as there must be so much waste with the amounts they serve up.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Essentials are expensive too: Bottle of Tusker Beer in a local bar: KS 95/-.

Just think some poor bloke/lady works all day in a sisal plantation in all weathers and can only afford “one” bottle of beer.

I posted on an earlier post that I took a borda borda (chauffer driven bicycle) from Sun and Sands Hotel to the main road. The chauffer was shattered after a very short distance. He dismounted looked me in the eyes and said “You’re too fat” (12stone 4 fatty!), it transpired that he hadn’t eaten for a day and a half.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Salaries in Kenya

The guys at our resort earn around £60 per month, they work 6 days a week and often 12 hour days. But, they do seem happy, well fed and I think that the resort do look after them. The guests all seem to give them a tip at the end of their holidays, well we certainly do. The tips must help a lot I would of thought.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Hotel waste? what do you think the bread and butter puddings are made from and that disgusting milk slop with currants in it ..- beef stew and ,mixed vegetables are all used up ..

In all my trips to Kenya visiting childrens homes and schools there was only two hotels who ever GAVE me food .. one was the Bamburi Beach Hotel and The Reef in Nyali .. three huge boxes from the breakfast table and I was not asked for (or gave) a tip ....

Here is another laughable rule ..... ALL children attending the [free?] government schools have now got to stay in for Lunch of beans and kale this costs appx 100/- -140/- per week -depending on the district - thats why you will see many children hiding in the bush or around the creeks ...the parents simply cannot afford to pay .

It is the governments rule that children MUST have one meal per day? now excuse me but, not one bag of beans or Ugali has been given to any school so its up to the parents to find this money .

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Must admit I did have to look twice at some of the food that was served but just turned a blind eye to it as I thought it was the norm after so many people raved about it LOL!!!!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Salaries in Kenya

drakesdrum i think we will stick with diani sea resort and risk the ferry quote

Hotel waste? what do you think the bread and butter puddings are made from and that disgusting milk slop with currants in it ..- beef stew and ,mixed vegetables are all used up. skipman lol edna are you having a bad day best wishes ian

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Bloody heck "S" you on the cooking sherry again !

What the devil is Diani resort & ferry got to do with the salaries?

The bread & butter puddings ARE made from all the stale ( or fresh) bread and I cant remember the bready sloppy curranty pudding I hate but other seem to like ..

Most of the cooked potaoes from Dinner are chopped up in fritters or diced for breakfast - with most of the vegetables chopped into a curry , and I have done this myself - meat carcases are made into stock or soups .. with over ripe bananas turned inot delicious Banana/coconut steam pudding ...

it isnt crap but good food. I am trying ot say the food isnt ever taken out ot the starving villages - but used properly

Now stay away from that decanter ..... or else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Now you have made me mis- spell Potatoes , into & to ♥