We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salaries in Kenya

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Salaries in Kenya

Interesting story here about salaries (at least those that are published). They range from less than Ksh10,000 a month in the hotel industry (about £1200/year) up to Ksh3.9million as the country's top-paid CEO (about £400,000/year).

allafrica.com/stories/200911060980.html

Richard

21. Re: Salaries in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 06:05
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Salaries in Kenya

"10,000 a month (ksh) surely that is more than £1200 per year or am I missing something?"

No, that's right. In fact, a lot of people are on far less than this. I've worked in places where the average take-home pay was 7500/- per month. And with as many as 8 mouths to feed, that doesn't go very far.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Salaries in Kenya

waiter in the bar 7500 shilling per mont 6 days a week, bar manager 12000 shillings a month, out of this if there is any breakage of glassess etc this comes out of there salary, they get 2 meals a day at the hotel , which i wont name , so tips help big time, but dont forget the pool guy or the gardeners as they could do with a few tips as well

Wales
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Salaries in Kenya

Remember couple of years ago I was in a hotel bar talking to a waitress (as you do). It was her first month in work which she worked for no pay at all, If the boss was happy with her he'd take her on. At the end of the month the girl wasn't taken on but another girl was taken on for a month without pay.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Salaries in Kenya

is about right muguruki also it seems common practice is some hotels in malindi if the girls dont sleep with the manager they dont get there jobs back either, this is from a few friends i know there , who now do not work

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Salaries in Kenya

When you read this you realise why even puny tips by our standards are greeted with big smiles - and I agree about remembering the garden boy!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Salaries in Kenya

I am going "local" shopping this week so will be able to tell you what I pay in the village for the orphanage.. I purchased some meat for ourselves, beef sirloin was 385ks a kg about £3.50. Good prices for us but impossible for a Kenyan to buy. 8 pork sausages were 235ks. I know people that are earning only 6000ks a month and finding it very hard to live. I could go on but don't want to depress you all. Please find it in your hearts to try and help a little. Have the custard packets, some towels and sheets which I sneaked in the luggage.

Danielle

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Salaries in Kenya

...and when you want to give someone a tip in a restaurant, shop, or hotel do it discretely because employees are told to give ALL tips to management (or in some cases face the sack).

29. Re: Salaries in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2010, 05:24