We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking on Air Kenya

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Booking on Air Kenya

Patty C and others,

Have you found any "reliable" way to book on Air Kenya flights? I know from experience that even very capable in-country travel coordination people cannot ensure that their clients will not get bumped from overbooked domestic flights. I am trying to explore how practical it is (or not) for me to try booking a flight out of Amboseli to Wilson on my own (in mid January).

Thoughts?

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

ps. I see Air Kenya's website. Looks good. Is it? Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

I am also looking at booking flights myself.

How reliable are they. It seems cheaper to book them direct than through an agent.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

Of course you can book direct (though I've never), but your in-country outfitter does this daily. I've never heard of people being bumped though it could happen, if rare... very rare. We're talking about small planes for 12-19/paxs. You're either booked or not. So it's up to you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

I think it does happen occasionally that domestic airlines move clients to each other's flights if they don't have enough clients to make their flight worth operating. I don't think there's much you can do to avoid it. Even big airlines have been known to do similar things.

But I wouldn't hesitate to book Safarlink, AirKenya, Fly540 or Mombasa Air Safari direct with the airline.

Richard

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

"Book" using the web site? I am in California and not using an outfitter-- traveling to do something with a non-profit. And, yes, I was once bumped from a flight from Nairobi to Malindi despite reservations (and paid) being made months earlier by a Nairobi-based outfitter. Wound up having to fly to Mombasa and drive to Watamu. Got to see more of the country ....

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

JP&mom

Yes, exactly. Although being US-based it might just be simpler for you to call their LA agent:

kenya-airways.com/home/…default.aspx

Good luck with the trip.

Richard

Northern California
Level Contributor
796 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

Yankari -- Not KA, but Air Kenya.

JP&Mom

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

Kenya Air (KQ) the international carrier, can probably book the domestic flights on Air Kenya (KQ), Give them a call or email. Good luck!

As Richard mentions, there's always the possibility if one of the carriers going to a destination doesn't have sufficient paxs, will put them on the other carrier so a full plane goes out, rather than 1 or 2/paxs.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

JP&Mom

Oops, my mistake. I would personally always choose Safarilink, but no reason not to book online, wither with them or Airkenya.

Bumping happens, but it's no big deal, and then will get you where you want to get to, in time. If you have tight connections it's always worth adding comments or preferably sending a separate email or SMS message.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking on Air Kenya

I've often booked direct with Air Kenya via their website without problem. Reconfirm 48 hours ahead or if on safari get your lodge to do it for you.