We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Day 1: Nairobi to Maasai Mara.: Mara Simba Lodge

Day 2: Maasai mara : Mara Simba lodge

Day 3: Maasai mara to Lake Nakuru : Lake Nakuru Lodge

Day 4: Lake Nakuru to Amboseli :Oltukai Lodge

Day 5: Full day Amboseli : Oltukai Lodge

Day 6: Amboseli to Lake Manyara : Lake Manyara Serena Hotel

Day 7: Lake Manyara to Serengeti : Serengeti Sopa Lodge

Day 8: Full day Serengeti : Serengeti Sopa Lodge

Day 9: Serengeti to Ngorongoro : Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge

Day 10: Ngorongoro to Tsavo West : Voyager Ziwani Safari Camp

Day 11: Tsavo West to Tsavo East : Ashnil Aruba Lodge

Day 12: Tsavo East to Nairobi

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Hi,

my suggestion would be the following despite i don`t know the time of year you want to travel:

Nairobi - Amboseli (2 nights) - Lake Manyara (1 night) - Ngorongoro (2 nights) - Serengeti (3 nights - maybe 2 in the central and 1 in the western corridor) - Masai Mara (3 nights) - Nairobi.

Or Nairobi - Lake Nakuru - Amboseli - Ngorongoro - Serengeti - Masai Mara - Nairobi.

I would skip the Tsavo East and West and also the Lake Nakuru (or the lake Manyara) and incase of these parks add the nights in the other parks. With your actual itinerary you can say you have been to all these parks, but you won`t see much because the most time you will travel between the parks.

It remembers me a little bit on the itineraries of the japanese people - doing as much in as less time as possible.

You are also having only lodge accomodations in your itinerary. Would highly recommand to take the one or other camp (very comfortable and they don`t have anything in common with our usual imagination of camping).

Bye

Chrissy

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Thanks Chrissy . . . we are planning for late August/early September.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Hi,

okay, than i would take always 3 nights in the Mara. Mara Simba Lodge is okay, but a little bit out of the way. Have you thought about Mara Serena, Mara Intrepids or Kichwa Tembo? The advantage also is, that it is a long drive from Serengeti to Masai Mara - plan the full day. And the named accomodations in the Mara are closer than the Mara Simba Lodge.

Here is a good map of the accomodations in the Mara: go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/MasaiMaraApril09.…

(if you come from Tanzania over Isebania, you will reach the Mara on the left side where you find Governors, etc.)

So, i would take 2 nights in the northern part of the Serengeti and one in the western corridor (e.g. Mbalageti Camp, chalets or as alternative for one overnight the Speke Bay Lodge). It is close to the Serengeti (about 15 minutes), but you will save time on your way to the Masai Mara.

The Masai Mara with its migration would be the highlight of your safari during this time and i would put it on the end.

Bye

Chrissy

nyc
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

I too would pass on Tsavo. The way the itinerary is set, it will take all day to get there. And on last day, driving from Tsavo East to NBO will take 6/hrs.

Besides for Aug/Sep it's best to spend more time in the Masai Mara and I'd "save the best for last" rather than upfront.

You have an "all driving" itinerary and will be covering some long distances rather than game viewing. You might want to consider some flights.

Day 1 - Drive to Nakuru; game drive - o/n

Day 2 - Drive to Amboseli; game drive - o/n

Day 3 - Amboseli; two game drives - o/n

Day 4 - Drive via Namanga border, to Arusha; lunch; drive to Lk. Manyara; late game drive - o/n

Day 5 - After early game drive at Manyara, drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater tour - o/n

Day 6 - Option: morning crater tour; drive via Oldupai Gorge;continue game drive to Central Serengeti - o/n Serena Ldg or Mbuzi Mawe Camp

Day 7 - Serengeti; two or full-day game drive/s - o/n

Day 8 - Fly via Arusha to Wlson (in NBO); fly to Masai Mara - o/n

Days 9, 10 & 11 - Masai Mara - o/n

Day 12 - Fly to NBO; sightseeing to visit Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center; dinner; to airport for homebound.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Hi,

but i would also skip one of the Lakes - from our personal experiences - skip the Lake Manyara and take the Lake Nakuru .

Bye

Chrissy

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Travel time/distance is mentioned, but I'm not sure where to find estimates between points on the itinerary. Any suggestions or estimates TA pros can provide would be appreciated.

I have done a minor tweak eliminating Tsavo East and adding one additional night at Maasai Mara, in a camp as suggested.

I'm working with MISC/Peter and have found him to be very accommodating to all of my questions and requests.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

This should help with distances. Just click on where you want to start and it will work out the distances for you.

http://www.serenahotels.com/distances.asp

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Thanks Bruce that should be helpful.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

Ok so that was helpful, but there are a couple of gaps . . . if someone can help me. How far is it between these parks:

Maasai Mara & Lake Nakuru

Lake Nakuru & Amboseli

Ngorongoro & Tsavo West

Thanks again!

Von

nyc
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts about this proposed itinerary?

How far is it between these parks:

Maasai Mara & Lake Nakuru - 5-6/hr drive time

Lake Nakuru & Amboseli - 5-6/hrs drive time; it's 2.5/hrs to NBO; from NBO to Amboseli about 4.5/hrs

Ngorongoro & Tsavo West - almost an entire day of daylight hours.