We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

our holiday this year

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
our holiday this year

This might come as a shock but it looks like we will be giving Kenya a miss this year ! we fancy trying to see some tigers in the wild, so it looks like India for a change, still not 100% sure we can shake off the pull of Kenya though !

The hotel we usually stay at are pricing themselves out of the market, we could rent cheaply (private) but maybe its time for a change :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: our holiday this year

No way smudger Kenya needs you!

You can hire a house by the beach, shop at the local supermarket, buy fresh fish from the fish sellers (proper fresh fish not the frozen rubbish we have in the U.K), buy local veg and get someone to cook it!

Who needs hotels?

If I want to see tigers I'll go to Whipsnade, I want to see Tuskers on Diani Beach!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: our holiday this year

You will soon return, I had two years away wanted to do see the valley of the kings and the temples of Luxor, glad i went but nothing was better than arriving back in Kilaguni and just watching the game come to drink at the waterhole.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: our holiday this year

thats true Nic but we want to try and see some tigers in the wild before they disappear , we can always come back to Kenya :-) which we will do, Kenya is well and truly in our hearts in a big way, we just fancy a change and we are fed up with the political situation out there, nothing changes for the people in Kenya as much as we try and help, we are small fish in a big pond and the bigger fish are still taking what they can and more ! and they get big pay rises as well, it beggars belief

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: our holiday this year

Damn you Bruce ! that touched a heart string lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: our holiday this year

The political situation in Kenya will probably never change regardless of who's in charge but it could be a lot worse, I watched Hotel Rwanda on DVD (true story from 1994) which was quite a stomach churner with different ethnic groups fighting each other, the political unrest after the last Kenyan elections could of turned very nasty fortunately they came to their senses.

Kenya is only '2 counties away' from Rwanda.

Despite the corruption Kenya will always be a beautiful country and they need us tourists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBj324ghXrE

boise, ID USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: our holiday this year

India is certainly a place one should visit at least once I think. We took our two daughters there on a tour of Rajasthan a couple of years ago. HOWEVER, a trip to Rathanbore Nat'l Park was on our tour and it was not anything like our animal viewing in Kenya. Does not compare in anyway. And it is supposed to be one of the few good tiger habitats in India. We went on a 2-3 hour drive in the park, and didn't see anything other than birds.

So, while I am definitely glad that we visited India, the wildlife was very disappointing.

But, on the positive side, you get much, much more for your money in India. And there are many more interesting things to see other than wildlife.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: our holiday this year

good job we are planning a 6 day "find the tiger" trip then :-)

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: our holiday this year

We're off to India too, Smudger, to try and see the elusive tiger. Hope we have better luck this time than we did at Chitwan in Nepal a couple of years ago - we saw a paw print! I wish you the best of luck and please let me see your 'alternative big cat' photos on your return.

As for giving Kenya a miss, I haven't quite managed that and am off next week. We do have holidays elsewhere during the year and Bruce is quite right, you really do appreciate Kenya all the more when you return. You should plan on going back next year, though, because who knows what will happen to the country after the election. I dread to think of the possibilities but guess it may not be too pretty.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: our holiday this year

Your not going to like it AT ALL !!!!!

How dare you take off without any consultation with your besty friends ....

Look my lad -- there are a couple of Tigers just up the road from me - come down here look at the cats then come home to a real treat - one of my bestess Pasties - now isnt that worth staying here -keeping your money and going back to a place you know both of you love so much?

We have visited other countries - very nice -but it AINT KENYA !!!!!!!!!!

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: our holiday this year

Excellent drakesdrum !!!!!!!! And if he does not heed your advice, we had all better book him into the nearest hospital for a labotomy!!!!!!!!

We are off to KENYA on thursday, my husband' first and a return for me in 42 years!! Am I really that old!!!!!

~TIGGY>