We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying sandals.......

NORFOLK
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
buying sandals.......

hi

i feel really shallow for asking this question, but its important! :)

We are staying at the voyager and I just wondered whether there are any markets/shops nearby? I am bridesmaid whilst at the voyager and am struggling to find some jewelled sandals/flip flops so have thought I might get some once I arrive?

I'm sure i'll be overloaded with options (and will have to buy more than one pair, obviously!) but just wanted to check???

cheers!

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: buying sandals.......

you will be able to buy jewled flip flops there or if you dont see any see one of the street sellers and they will get them for you

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying sandals.......

You can also go into mombasa (Old town) and find a large selection in some of the shops or markets there.

NORFOLK
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying sandals.......

thanks everyone - one less thing to sort out before we go!

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying sandals.......

they sell really lovely sandels on the beach, the masai will even make them to your design, but make a price before you order

Kendal,uk
Level Contributor
109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying sandals.......

Hi

A couple of weeks ago my wife bought a superb pair of leather sandals for 500 Ks from a little shop in Mtwapa which makes them ,leather belts, African jewellery etc. if you walk up towards malindi on the Causarina side of the road the little shop is opposite a large green building with Safaricom on it. Prices a fraction of what they will charge on the beach but you need to haggle. My wife purchased the sandals and 4 beautiful necklaces. hese were 55ks each compared to about 1000 asked on the beach.

Just get the Matatu up to Mtwapa and get off opposite the Causarina night club(Outside Bannoff bar - spelling probably not right !

Best of luck and I know you will love youe visit to Mombasa area.

Bob

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying sandals.......

Hi. Good to know about the sandels that your wife bought. Seems the North have a wider selection than the South. I did get a Masaai to make me a pair of sandels but they were with straps and just the beads they use. I actually took a picture out of a magazine with me and gave it to a seller but there were jewel stones interspersed along the necklace and he came back with nothing like it. I bought it but we had not agreed a price therefore did not pay much for it. Hopefully the new Nakumatt will be open when we next go to the South coast. If we happen to go to the North for any reason then I will keep that shop in mind.

Kind regards Malaika

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying sandals.......

Yes no doubt the Masai could get some beautiful beaded ones for you, but why not be adventurous and try their real specialities: Pirelli, Dunlop Cross Ply or Continental?

Michelin Radials were all the rage a few years back, no doubt you could pick-up a pair of these at a snip. Colours are a bit limited though; they’re flexible, hardwearing and guaranteed to last a lifetime. I’d jump (higher) at the chance if I were you!

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying sandals.......

Duplicate!

Edited: 14 February 2010, 18:28
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying sandals.......

What's that I smell?? Aah Eau de Cynicism.......

Edited: 14 February 2010, 18:42
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying sandals.......

Bob,

I walk past the shop you are referring to most mornings when I go for a stroll to pick up the papers. its is called Klainer's International Curio Shop, which is a pretty grand name for what is basically a shack with half a dozen guys making nick nacks.

It is between the Ngao Cafe and the Ghana Shuttle office. You don't need to get off the matatu at Bahnhoff, they stop anywhere so you could just knock when you see the green building, but the shop is just beyond one of the two main matatu stopping points in Mtwapa anyway, the beach road turn off, there will usually be someone wanting to get off there