We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable Deposit

Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable Deposit

Hi, wondering what % people on here generally pay for a deposit, we just got asked by an operator who we had decided to do a 1 week safari with for the full amount now( that aint gonna happen) , our trip doesnt start till April.

Thanks

M&A

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable Deposit

I think most companies have there own policies. I have found when booking our holiday, as I am doing this independently.

Some Hotel Operators want between 20 to 50% deposit and full amount about 60 days before departure. Our Safari company asked for full amount and when I queried them they said 30% would be ok and full amount 60 days before departure.

Good luck

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable Deposit

There's a wide range, can be from 25-50%. Outfitters require funds as deposits for the lodges/camps you've booked. Few will pay on your behalf with nothing in hand.

For trips booked within 60/days of arrival, outfitters want payment in full. As you're not too far out from the 60/days is probably why you were asked for payment in full.

If not till April, then offer 30%, and if accepted you're set, though the balance will be due in Feb. a few weeks from now.

Good luck!

3. Re: Reasonable Deposit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 05:18