We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any other British members of a certain age ......

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Do any other British members of a certain age ......

....... find it a little strange that so many posters from the UK spell shillings the Austrian way (schillings) - could they be unaware that prior to 1971 the UK had shillings for hundreds of years and that is why they are the currency in Kenya

Just seems strange every time I see it

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

Hi Danielle,

When I was googling to see if it still survived I saw a headline from some years ago in an Irish paper saying that it had been stopped because of the risk from paedophiles - what a sad world.

But on the brighter side - will probably see you in Kahama tonight, thinking of popping in for a couple

Wales
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

It is tricky with tribal names, language, and the person. is it Kamba Akamba, mukamba Wakamba, Ukambani, Kikamba Mkao?

Talking of cleaning cars, last time I was in Lidl car park in Peckham (as you do) a group of African blokes there were cleaning cars speaking swahili reckon they would have wanted more than a bob a job Streling or the 'Banki Kuu Ya Kenya' one.

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

It was Keenya until Jomo Kenyatta became president and the different pronunciation created a dilemma. In this case it was obviously easier to change the countries name rather than the name of the President.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

"What's your source? Need to know, as otherwise I've been spelling it wrong (ie Maasai) for 25 years!"

The Maasai themselves... I've never seen any written reference to it but many years ago I was scolded gently but in no uncertain terms by a fellow (Maasai) guide for mis-spelling the word in a written document I had produced for some guests.

Sorry to upset the applecart!

Regarding Kenya/Keenya pronunciations, the wazungu here are always accused of being (neo)-colonialists if we dare to pronounce it "Keenya", however I have been told that "Kenya" is an adaption of the Wakamba word "Kiinya", itself a corruption of the word "Kirinyaga" which, as I'm sure a well-read man such as yourself would know, was the name given to Mt Kenya by the Kikuyu around 500 years ago when they first settled on its lower slopes. "Kirinyaga" simply means "Mountain of Brightness". Like so many place-names and pronunciations here, though, it may simply be a romantic notion and the truth of the name is lost in the mists of time.

Edited: 12 February 2010, 15:31
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

Neil: agreed, very difficult, I've recently changed all my refs to "Akamba" to Kamba as the simplest route, so I didn't have to keep changing it to Mkamba, Wakamba etc. Apart from the buses of course. . .

FL410: thanks for the feedback. In that case I'm definitely sticking to Maasai! Applecart still steady.

Your Kenya/Keenya explanation is what I'd always understood, too. Jomo Kenyatta (whose real name was Kamau wa Muigai according to Wikipedia) used to wear a kinyatta or kenyatta (traditional Kikuyu beaded belt) and adopted that as a nickname. So it was a neat coincidence that the country was already called Kenya. . .

(I don't know if people looking for holiday info are finding this thread interesting, but I'm enjoying myself! - must get some work done. . .).

Richard

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

This thread should appear in Stephen Fry's next QI book as it makes fascinating reading.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

It sure does Bruce, very enjoyable reading

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

Can't remember when/where I discovered the difference between Masai/Maasai but I know it in the same way FL410 describes it.

And if 'Kenya' is an adaptation of the work 'Kiinya' would that not have been pronounced Keenya in the first instance? Not that I'm up on my Kamba language pronunciation, I'm having enough trouble with Swahili and Kikuyu to take on any more at the moment!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

Interesting indeed, having had a rummage about on t'internet, it seems universally acknowledged that the people are Maasai

Some say that the Masai Mara is so-called because it was incorrectly named by the colonialists

The interesting bit for me is that most sites say the Mara bit of the name Maasai Mara is derived from the Maasai word Maa which means 'motteled or speckled' to reflect the landscape.

However I have also found less frequent references - like the hint in the link below which say the word 'Maa' means 'people' and 'Maasai' means 'My People' - this actually sounds more attractive to me especially as the language is also known as Maa

www.masai-mara.net/masai_mara_people.html

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Do any other British members of a certain age ......

well i really enjoyed that thread it just shows you what you can learn on ta. as for £sp i am 68 so will not say anymore