We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

Boulder, CO
6 posts
Save Topic
Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

I am wondering if anyone could suggest tour operators to go with for a safari in Kenya. We will be in Nairobi and would like to do a safari for a few days, but I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of safari operations. I picked up a Fodors book and it is too overwhelming with page after page of options. Does anyone know of any good places to start to plan a safari for our family? I know some tours do not take kids. We are thinking mid price range - we are open to different areas, but it seems like maybe the Maasai Mara is a good park to visit? Any insight would be very much appreciated. Also, are most safaris 7+ days or can you find some that are about 4-5 days?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

It can be very overwhelming trying to decide where to go and where to start . We are travelling in September with our 6 year old.

One of the Travel Agents suggested the Intrepids Mara Camp as they have a Kids Adventurer Club.

We have decided to book The Serena Mara for a 2 night fly package from Nairobi as a it worked out a bit cheaper for us.

You can do any length of stay on Safari. You can book some of the lodges direct or the Serena Mara Lodge has a flyin package.

We are also going to the Coast and have chosen the Turtle Bay Beach Club at Watumu, as they have a really good Kids club.

Most camps take children over 8 years old, its mainly the fairly exclusive ones that don't.

Also maybe consider a fly in Safari as the roads are very rough and long distances between Parks etc. The Airlines fly in and out of Wilson Airport to the Mara.

Lets go Travel website based in Nairobi have useful website and have lots of suggested Safari itineraries. Also the KATO website has all the registered Safari companies and you could always ask for some quotes or check out various websites for ideas.

In Nairobi you have the Sheldrick Elephant orphanage and the Giraffe Centre that the Children will love.

Good luck and happy hunting

2. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 15:05
nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

Age 8 is the perfect time for a child to experience safari. They're old enough to understand rules/regs and do just fine. So yours can definitely participate. In fact, many camps actually accept children as young as 5-6/yrs and as long as they're in private van under auspices of their parents can go on game drives.

Assume with school aged children, you'll be traveling July/Aug... an ideal time to visit the Masai Mara where the wildebeest migration takes place.

As mentioned above, the Intrepid's Camp, besides doing 3/game drives daily - 6am, 10am and 4pm, also have their Adventurer's Program which keeps young ones occupied in-between with great activities. Ideally, you'll fly to/from the Mara, where you'll be met by the camp for your stay which should be at minimum 3/nts-2/days. Also, inquire as to child rates, as if sharing with parents, there should be discounts for those under 12/yrs. Intrepid's also has Family tents, two tents with screened breezeway between them (a living space) for time when not participating in any activities.

Other camps and/or lodges are also very good with young children, even if they don't have a "specific" program.

If you wish to visit other areas, you can consider Amboseli for elephants and views of Kilimanjaro (2-3/nts) or Samburu, also for elephants and species not found elsewhere as reticulated giraffe, gerenuk, Grevy's zebra, Beisa oryx, somali ostrich and wild dogs. There's an Intrepid's up here also. However, by road would be a long drive, so flying to/from would be suggested. And from here you can then fly to the Mara. If staying in 2 Intrepid's properties, you may be eligible for further discounts.

Should budget be a concern during this peak travel period with the highest rates, then extend your stay in the Mara to 4-5/days.... you won't be bored.

Good luck!

Seattle
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

I have a 9 year old son and we are looking to Safari in the summer as well, and I also just started looking, and I am also overwhelmed! Here's what I'm thinking; One day in Nairobi to see local sights, fly to the Migration, land safari to Mombasa. Total about 12 days? I've seen that some travel agencies won't even book Kenya because they feel it is too crowded. Thoughts? If you find a good reasonable travel agent for families, let us know!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

Kenya Full?

only in the dreams of the Tourism Minister, South Coast Hotels are running at about 35% occupancy, North Coast are compensating for lack of International visitors by offering deals to locals, 25% to 30% of beds in the Masai Mara are empty. Tourism generally is struggling to get back to 2007 levels after the double whammy of the Post Election violence and the Global recession.

Things are being reported to be picking up but targets have been missed and the 2030 plan is in significant jeopardy

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

I cannot say enough about the Advernturers Club at Mara Intrepids, and also other Intrepids properties. We went with 3 kids aged 11, 8 and 7 after Christmas and they had a ball. We would do a game drive from 6:30 am - 8:30 am. Then breakfast and then the kids would head of the the club. One morning they were taken to a Masai Village while we went on a game drive.

They would also have activities after lunch, and in the evenings as well.

The kids had such a great and educational time.

7. Re: Kenya safari options for family with boys ages 10 and 8?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 06:19