We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning safari route in kenya

Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Planning safari route in kenya

Hello

We are planning a safari for june this year in kenya and we would like to know about other experiences in different national parks in order to coodinate how many days to spend in each area.

So far we are considering to visit masai mara, amboseli, and Lake Nakury....but we have been told that also Laikipia and Tsavo are great...so any commets would be appreciated!

We would like maybe to spend 8-9 days in safari

thanks

Marianela

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

I think Sweetwaters is somewhat overrated. I particularly don't appreciate the fact that you're so close to Nanyuki that after dark you can see the all-night growing lights from one of the local vegetable plantations (supplying our supermarkets no doubt) across the other side of the waterhole. Not exactly out in the bush. Much better camps in Ol Pejeta, in my opinion, are Ol Pejeta Bush Camp, Kicheche Laikipia and Porini Rhino Camp, all superb.

Richard

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

Hi,

we returned from Ol Pejeta last sunday, we had to stay at sweetwaters as all the other camps were still closed, we would have prefered to stay ay Ol Pej Bush camp.

We stayed for 3 nights and had one of our best experience's, we had an up close and cuddly with La Boule, a 1yr 9 month old black rhino which we shall publish on the blog soon, we saw 3 of the last 4 breeding northern white rhino, total of 8 left in the world, grevy's and hybrid grevy's, they are quite different and yet the same but the best was a hybrid that was semi spotted, also to be posted, 3 babboon chasing 3 cheetah, and a young lioness catch a warthog.

However that animal I most wanted to see was a white impala, we spent 2 days looking for it but no luck, I have seen pics of it and if anyone has 1 available please email it to me, + lots of other animals, i like it there as there is so much variety and what they do and the way it is done is fantastic.

http://www.olpejetaconservancy.org/ and ol pej bush camp

olpejetaconservancy.org/safari/ol_pejeta_bus…

our blog

http://www.anadventureinafrica.com/

Samburu very good, Meru is still up and coming but the animals are still a bit shy.

Wherever you go you will have a blast.

let us know what you decide.

safari njema

agy

LA
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

Hi Everyone,

After the flood in March, is Samburu ready to accept tourists?

Is Laikipia not affected by the flood? For some reason, I thought they are "closed" by.

We are considering between Amboseli vs. Samburu, and now I guess Laikipia :)

Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

Samburu-Buffalo Springs reserve is essentially the north and south banks of the Ewaso Nyiro river and is fairly small. All the good riverside camps/lodges are still closed as far as I know.

Laikipia is a vast region, stretching out far to the west and southwest of Samburu-Buffalo Springs reserve. The region had floods and is still very green but I don't think any camps or lodges were damaged. The Laikipia lodges along the river are high above it.

Richard

LA
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

Thanks, Richard

16. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 15:05
17. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 17:35
18. Re: Planning safari route in kenya

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 07:20