We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snake Shows

Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snake Shows

I may be travelling to Kenya with someone who has a phobia of snakes. I know there is a good chance they might be seen on a safari so this person wouldn't be going on one, however one of my managers from work went a few years and he had photos taken of him and his wife with a python that was brought into the coastal resort hotel.

I've tried looking up previous posts about this and I'm not sure if this is a common thing in all resort hotels or whether it was just one particular hotel that ran a show. Any advice please?

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snake Shows

Hi,

I know what it is like to have a phobia, Mine is spiders!!!

I doubt very much that you/she would see a snake on safari, they are shy creatures that detect vibrations, I can assure you that they would move away from you before you even saw it.

I have no idea about snake shows at the resort, we certainly dont have them at The Travellers, you could email the resort direct and ask or to get an itinery of entertainment for when you are due to go.

Hope this helps

Tracy

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snake Shows

Hi poland74

You do not say where you are staying but if in Mombasa avoid Mamba Village. They have a few snakes in glass cases and often take small Pythons out for photos.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snake Shows

We stayed at Papillon Lagoon Reef last month and they had a 'Snake Show' as the evening entertainment one night. Dont let it put you off any one hotel, because the choice is always there to avoid the entertainment for that night.

I dont like snakes very much, but do not have a real phobia. My son was keen to see the show, and he handled most of the snakes. I was brave enough to get close enough to take photographs but that was my limit.

I think it is common for hotels in the Diani area to have a rota of entertainment shows which are in defferent hotels in the area each night, so it is quite likely that other hotels have this same 'snake show' visit them.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snake Shows

Southern Palms has one also and most of the other hotels do along with the Masai Dancer, acrobats, games night it seems to be the norm in the evenings they all seem to do a rota, but you can always stay away from the snake show and go out somewhere or drink at another bar.

They can be avoided and it is not that bad and you do not have to participate if you don't want to and all the entertainments is repeated the next week anyway so you know which night it is going to be.

leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snake Shows

Maybe from the snake park in Diani - apparently some of snakes they keep there are only semi deadly..! Whatever he meant by that.

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snake Shows

I have to say I would be appalled if I was in a hotel and they had a "snake show". These creatures should be left in the wild where they belong it is no better than going to a circus with animals in Britain. I shudder to think how they are treated by the people who bring them to these shows.

No animals should be exploited in this way for tourism and if I was staying in one of these hotels I would definitely make my feelings known to the Management.

Rant over but this sort of thing makes my blood boil.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snake Shows

Not exactly "exploiting" them they are just showing the native reptiles of Kenya to the toruists, they are not in a "Show" but they like to call it that to hype it up a bit. All the reptiles looked happy and well cared for, and were not man handled or treated bad in any way.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snake Shows

Bio Ken, do regular snake shows in hotels around Watamu and provide a very good and informative show, they are also actively involved with providing anti venom for some of the most dangerous snakes found in Kenya

http://www.bio-ken.com/

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snake Shows

I don't go to Africa to see native species of animals being taken round hotels for tourists to look at and have their photos taken with them, I go to see wild animals in their natural habitats where they belong. You can learn about native reptiles and animals on a safari.

Would you feel the same if it was a monkey on a chain, or lion cubs being shown to the tourists. As far as I am concerned using snakes in this way is no different and it should not be tolerated. The animals are being exploited.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snake Shows

I understand where you are coming from Poppy :) but Bio Ken are not in the business of exploiting these snakes ! and they do indeed provide anti venom for some of the most dangerous snakes in Africa, without this service many people would probably be in serious trouble.

However we have experienced other so called "snake shows" which in my opinion DO exploit these magnificent creatures, the same can not be said of Bio Ken