We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Entrance Fees

England
Level Contributor
88 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Park Entrance Fees

Hi

We are doing a private safari to Kilaguni Lodge in Tsavo West, and to Serena Amboseli. Does anyone know the cost of the current park entrance fees for these parks for non-resident adults and also for children (under 18 I assume?) . Various websites don't seem to have been updated and the adult fee on these vary. The KWS website has 2009 prices on it of $60/$40 for Amboseli, and $50/$30 for Tsavo West, are these current? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Entrance Fees

easybob follow a thread for yankari/bruce/doff/westwood

they will know

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Entrance Fees

As far as I know the fees are still the same for 2010. Amboseli $60 and Tsavo $50 for adult non residents. Childrens prices are between 3-18 years old

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Entrance Fees

Yes, Bruce is right. No changes to KWS prices in 2010, so far.

Amboseli and Lake Nakuru $60/30

Tsavo West, Tsavo East, Aberdare, Meru, Chyulu $50/25

All per 24-hour period.

Richard

England
Level Contributor
88 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Entrance Fees

Many thanks for the information guys, much appreciated!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Entrance Fees

I'm curious about the park fees as I haven't found anything that seems to directly address this. Park fees in Kenya are pretty significant compared to what we pay to get into our State and National Parks in the U.S. Now, I realize we don't have elephants and giraffes in our parks - some nice bears and moose and a lot of other wildlife though. Curious to know what these fees are used for. I'm guessing rangers to keep lookout for poachers, making sure the tourists are safe and generally keeping an eye on things? Some of the parks have very nice restrooms, some minimal but they have approximately the same fees. I believe there is a fee for the driver which is a little lower than the non resident plus a vehicle fee. It adds up on longer safaris. Just curious.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Entrance Fees

They essentially provide all the income the park requires, to cover rangers' salaries, housing, vehicles, road maintenance, camping and banda sites (such as they are), veterinary support, etc. The lot, in other words. I don't know how much support is provided direct from Nairobi, but I'd assume not very much at all.

Good question, though, and perhaps others have more precise info?

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Entrance Fees

Your guide & vehicle fees are based on "resident" rates. Whereas, those visitors who are non-residents pay the fees shown above.

Not all parks are under the auspices of KWS and have their own set of rates. There are also Conservancy fees, with their own rate schedule/s.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Entrance Fees

Thanks for that info. I knew about the resident/non resident fee differences but had not thought about the veterinary support which I've seen a lot about on Mara Triangle clips and other websites. That is very worthwhile and something that is not provided in our parks. We have occasional wildlife rehabilitation, especially for predatory birds, but you don't see the active animal vet care provided there.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Entrance Fees

Hi,

The US National Parks Service received $2.7 Billion in funding from the Federal Government, the partnership scheme adds another $15 million, then there are private donations as well - I can't see any funding the Kenyan parks might get from their government even coming on the same ball park

act.npca.org/npca/notice-description.tcl…

10. Re: Park Entrance Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 06:18