We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question! My friend's son and his 'come-we-stay' wife are expecting their first child in a couple of months. I would like to take some things out for the baby when I visit in June but I really don't know what to buy for the best.

I don't want to make the mistake of buying clothes that a Kenyan parent wouldn't dream of dressing their little one in. Do they wear romper suits, etc, or are they more traditional with matinee coats and the like? The family live in Nairobi, so maybe the baby would need something a little warmer than one would on the coast, for example, especially with the cooler months approaching.

Any ideas and pointers would be most welcome as I don't want to commit a social faux-pas or waste money on stuff that just isn't going to get used.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

Baby grows ....cardigans -- hats knitted hats .. bootees Yes J they wear the same as here if they can afford it !!! any colour - it dosnt matter ...boys wear pink blue yellow or green .......same for the girls ....

Blankets - either crochet ones or shawls if anyone has them a packet of Muslim nappies waterproof pants .

Soap - Sudacream - Vaseline & baby oil

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

When I visit friends, whether their little ones are newborn, or 1-3/yrs of age (even those older 6-7/hrs)... much the same clothing as kids wear Stateside - boy and girl items.

Of course, a sweater is good for the cool NBO mornings/evenings. So nothing unusual. Pants, shorts, t-shirts, button shirts, skirts, dresses, caps, socks, undercloths, lite-sweaters, and on and on.

In fact, many of the shops here have items manufacturered in Kenya, apparently for export only, not sold in Kenyan shops.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

It is always a surprise to me that babies are wrapped up for "the cold" when it is quite hot!

Friends from overseas often bring sleeveless baby suits and these get used as "underwear". Tesco stuff looks good!!

Upcountry, only nappies which are washed. In town, I don't know and you could ask. Disposal of Pampers etc can be a problem.

Plenty of Johnson, Cussons, etc baby saop, powder, creme etc available here. Similarly woolly coats, jackets and HATS - at times you can't see baby for clothes. I suppose they also keep off mosquitos!

My mzungu friends who are fostering an abandoned baby have asked for things like a baby car seat from UK. In Nairobi, you can get anything if you have money. We are not in Nairobi and don't have money!! I gather mail order in UK is much cheaper, especially if you are coming on one of the Airlines which gives a 2 piece allowance.

I honestly think you should ask them if there is anything it is really worth bringing from UK and see what they say!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

Thanks to all three of you for your replies, despite the fact that you are wazungu (although Ann is pretty much Kenyan now) I trust your judgement on this one!

I guess that whatever I decide to take out will be fine, then. I suppose my perception is that Kenyans tend to be quite 'traditional' when it comes to children, the ones you see out seem to be in their 'Sunday best'. I just didn't want to take out clothes that would be wasted as the parents-to-be haven't much money. I have a feeling that most of what they will have will be second-hand so some new things from England, I know, will be highly prized.

And, Ed, you made me feel a bit guilty and of the mind to be getting out my knitting needles and rustling up a few booties and mittens!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

By the way, Ed, what are Muslim nappies???

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

I'm going to stay with one of my former students (mother of three) next week so I'll ask her advice. When the weather is OK there is no need for nappies in certain places!! As for muslim ones....???

Seriously, a baby seat of some sort (2nd hand?) might be a big blessing. My friends with the foster child have got some things nobody in rural Western Kenya has ever seen before - like a seat with wheels so the baby can move around the house. She is quite small and is "learning to walk" with it.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

Couldn't have been a typo could it - should it have been 'muslin' the cloth?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

Oh heck! trust me NOT to look before posting - it should have been spelt MUSLIN of course .. Friends I have like them very much - there cut in half and made into a "pad" cheaper if Pampers are not on the shopping list! and won`t get thrown in the bushes !

J you can bring a couple of teething toys and Bonjela !! at least 6 tubes .. .Vaseline - its used for the skin after washing ,, and Maternity pads for MUM !!! ha ha ! well dad wouldnt want them would he? - unless he has a shoe shine business lol!!

9. Re: One for the Kenyans - what do babies wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:17