We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

I've already booked the Nairobi Hilton for two nights prior to my Safari in August, however I'm considering a change due to the poor reviews the hotel has been receiving lately. The price I booked for a single room at the Hilton was very good, however I now have an opportunity to book either the Sarova Stanley Hotel or Intercontinental Hotel for a similar price. I'm also considering the Norfolk, although I'd like to know if anyone believes it is worth it since the total price is a about $180 more, and I've already gone over my original budget, but then again who doesn't go over their budget when planning their first safari?? Also, I know a great number of people seem to enjoy the Nairboi Serena, however it is even more than the Norfolk and I think I'd prefer the Norfolk, so I'm not even considering the Serena.

I'll actually spend very little time at the hotel as I arrive late my first night and then after second night I depart at 6:45am, so truly one day only at the hotel and part of that day will be on a possible tour of a few Nairobi sights, however I do want my first experience in Kenya to be a nice start. Does anyone have any comments or opinions on the hotels mentioned above as I think I want to cancel the Hilton. Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

What about Macushla House in Karen.

A bit cheaper and in a nice area of Nairobi where a lot of expats live. Small Hotel and more personal. Quite a few good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Next door to the Giraffe Centre and close to Karen Blixen Museum and the Elephant Orphanage.

www.macushla.biz

We have booked this Hotel in September. They can arrange pickups from the Airport and very prompt on email.

Good luck

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

For my September, I have booked the Fairview on ther web site:

http://www.fairviewkenya.com/

They were very responsive.

It is listed #1 on Trip Advisor.

Jane

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

I would agree about the Hilton. It is a bit run down, and not a 5 star. Between the Stanley and Intercont, my vote would go to Stanley hands down. They have a great hotel with good service.

By staying in the city, you get a vibe for the place, but then staying in the suburbs like Karen, it is more peaceful.

i would take up The Stanley.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

Thank you for your recommendations. How far are the Macushla and Fairview hotels from Wilson Airport? Also in regards to the Macushla, are there many taxis that are easy to hire as I'd like to visit Karen Blixen, Giraffe Center and the Elephant Orphanage?

enfield&ugunja
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

Personally if I were to stay in the city area I would stay at the Oakwood -almost opposite the Stanley and lot less expensive with excellent staff

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

I also replied to your other thread same subject.

Also recommended Fairview and/or Macushla.

As to sightseeing, either of these properties can arrange for a car/driver.

But, if going on safari thru a tour operator, they can just as easily arrange sightseeing as your meet/greet and other activities during your stay.

7. Re: Nairobi Hotel Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 05:18