We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charity luggage

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Charity luggage

Hi,

i have one question - maybe there is someone who could help me. The airline we are usually used for our flights to Kenya does no longer accept free charity luggage (has been 30 kg before for free).

Which airline do you know who will still offering free or special rates for charity luggage?

My other alternative is to look for a KLM or Ethiopian Flight, where you are allowed to take 2 x 23 kg.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bye

Chrissy

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charity luggage

Chrissy - your best bet is the KLM/Ethiopean flight

First Choice/Thompson are the only ones to allow extra luggage for a charity but its only 10kilos

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charity luggage

Hi Edna,

thanks a lot - these are the 2 i am having now on my list. It is a shame - the flight companies are charging so much for flights and have no heart....

Sorry, actually i am a little bit upset despite i know, it is a commercial thing.

The explanation i got - people are missusing this charity luggage for their own things - sorry, 100s of glasses and sun lotions and special things for babies and small children (despite we are not travelling with children) and only for the way from Europ to Kenya..........

Bye

Chrissy

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charity luggage

Looks like its a bikini - pair of shorts - what you wear travelling and perhaps at a push a dress for dinner Chrissy, then you can take all your bits and bobs ..lol!!!!

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charity luggage

Hi Edna,

you are right - or i take my things and Hubby has to leave space in his suitcase.....smile...

I am sure we will always have place for the affordable things for the people there...and also you can buy some things for them if you are there...

Bye

Chrissy

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charity luggage

Hi Chrissy

We are flying Kenya Airlines in July and we have 2 x 23kgs each.

Do Kenyan Airlines operate out of Munich ?

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charity luggage

Hi Westwoodboy,

thanks, they are operating, but the prices are quiet expensive. Actually the rates for KLM/Martinair and Ethiopian Airlines are working out much cheaper. Just checking Turkish Airlines.....

It is not so urgent, but it is always better to be informed and prepared.

Bye

Chrissy

Edited: 02 May 2010, 21:19
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charity luggage

Hi Chrissy

I have managed to get a really good price with KLM, Manchester - Mombasa flying the second leg with Martinair and as they are now a partner of KLM the luggage allowance is the same 2 x 23kg & 12kg Hand luggage so the bit extra on the fare is helped by the very generous luggage allowance. This way exceeds any of the chartered airlines allowances and our friend flew with Monarch a few weeks ago & had to pay excess baggage for gifts he was bringing to the orphanage.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charity luggage

......................and what we could buy in the food line with that money Mary eh?

one word of caution flying with KA or KLM if your luggage is over - and I mean even by one kilo - of the 23 kilos allowance you will be charged £120 !!!!!!!! for the suitcase ....

9. Re: Charity luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 06:17