We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thomson

hampshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
thomson

Hi, we are looking to book a safari and beach holiday. Last time we booked through Kuoni, someone has suggested Thomson and didn't if anyone could give us any feedback if they have booked through them??

many thanks,

Bev

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Malik Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thomson

Hi, we booked our two weeks in Kenya in August with Thomson yesterday. I was mainly swayed by the fact they are the only company with an Ash Cloud promise. In the past we have always booked flights, accommodation etc separately ourselves but I didn't want to risk it this year. We are arranging our safari locally as this works out a massive £3000 cheaper overall for 5 of us even though we will be leaving our hotel rooms empty for 6 nights. Have a really good holiday whatever you do, Helen

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thomson

We've been on lots of Thomson holidays to Europe and a couple of long-haul ones. They are fine. But if you can afford it it's worth upgrading to the premium cabin for long-haul.

We've booked to go to Voyager Beach in July with them, but we're booking our own safari with a local company, then we can choose our own accomodation and have a van to ourselves.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thomson

Hi Bev. We have booked with First Choice, but out of the Thomson brochure for the best of Kenya 6day safari and the rest at the beach in Mombasa. Was going to do it all separately, but as it is our 1st time and my Dad is coming with us (we are 3 adults and 2 kids travelling) Dad wanted to be organised and have it ready before we went. I was all for sorting a safari out when we got there as lots have recommended on here. But on costing up the difference of booking the hotel for 2 weeks then safari separate we worked out that booking all in was not that much more expensive for 5 (we did get a child discount and the travel agent gave us a "discount" if we booked there and then which we used to upgrade to premium seats!)and it means no checking out of the hotel etc. Bit worried about a long flight then another straight away to Nairobi, but we have the whole day there before heading off on safari the morning after. The safari buses that Thomson use (according to brochure) is a nine-seater but used for a maximum of 7, so I'm optomistic that it will be just for us in reality! Time will tell I guess and I hope we've done the right thing. Our beach hotel is the Baobab which looks lovely so all fingers crossed here. Will soon be posting "have I forgotten or do I need anything else?" posts I'm sure. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

hampshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thomson

Hi, thank you all for your replies...really not sure at the moment who to go with...got to go back and spaek to travel agent.

Silversurf....will be interested to know what you think of the voyager as that is the resort we are looking a.

Welshcornishbird, we stayed at the Baobab 3 years ago and it was truely fantastic...hope it is still excellent for you...have a great holiday

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thomson

HampT. I'll post a review when I get back. But there are lots of reviews already on here. Mostly good; which is why we chose it. Will also let you know by pm our satisfaction with our safari company, if you are interested.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 08:36
hampshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: thomson

thank you that is really kind. Hope you have a fantastic time.....you surely will :-)

7. Re: thomson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 06:17