We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wooden giraffe on board

Europe
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
wooden giraffe on board

:-) Well, I am sure you know what I want to ask...-)

Yes, I would like to buy a wooden giraffe..about 170cm high. Anyone has been flying with that kind of souvenir on board? Any experience with any airlines?

Thanks.

M.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wooden giraffe on board

you can put it in as part of your hold luggage as long as you have the weight allowance or pay the extortionate extra luggage of £11 per kilo

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wooden giraffe on board

On my recent return, family in front of me were checking in a 4ft (or maybe taller) giraffe, bubble wrapped and then newspaper around with tape - going on as "checked" luggage. Whether they had to pay extra I can't say, nor whether on their arrival at home airport (maybe India) what condition it might have been in! That's the chance one takes.

How I laugh everytime I see one of those "tall blonds" being checked!!!

Europe
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wooden giraffe on board

I think I will have enough free space in my weight allowance but am not sure If the giraffe would arrive in one piece.. I would prefer taking it as a "hand luggage" but airlines may not to like my idea..

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wooden giraffe on board

you can`t take that size object on board as hand luggage - even those Masai Walking sticks have to go in the hold and you collect them at your destination - they are not put onto the Carousel belt ..

if you line your suitcase with Bubble wrap -save your carboard toilet roll holders - and pack these over the ears nose and any other bit protruding this souvenir will arrive in one piece.

Europe
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wooden giraffe on board

thanks, that is a good idea:-)

6. Re: wooden giraffe on board

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 06:15