We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara Park Fees

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Masai Mara Park Fees

http://www.maasaimara.com/about_mara_info.asp lists prices to be 80USD per adult and 40USD per child under 11 for all foreigners. Yet, for residents it is 12USD per adult and 6 USD per child. In the USA park fees are the same no matter where you are from. It just seems so grossly unfair. Also, forgetting about unfairness for a moment, given the huge discrepancy between the fees, why can't lodges/camps located in Mara buy resident tickets and provide to their guests? Why is it that lodges quote you excluding the park entry fees and tour operators include these fees into their prices?

Park fees are Per Person Per Day (pppd)

Non Resident Adults (12+) US$ 80

Non Resident Children (11 and below) US$ 40

Resident Adults Ksh. 1000

Resident Children Ksh. 500

Vehicle 6+ seats Ksh. 1000

Vehicle 5 seats or less Ksh. 300

Kenya Walking Survivors Safaries
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Safaris
Maicku Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

think it's because Park Fee's are completely separate to the lodges so why would they include the charges? to explain I'll put it in context..... if you booked a room at a hotel in London you pay for just that...the hotel room. If you need to cross the Dartford Bridge to get there...you pay for that toll, not the hotel you have a booking with.

However, if you go on a coach tour to London and stay at the hotel...it's in the price.

Either way...it's included somewhere and you pay it now matter what.

As for the fee itself, I don't see this as being unfair in the slightest

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

When did or do the fees for the Masai Mara go up to $80? We just paid our accommodation and park fees and it was at the old price. Just hope we don't have to pay the difference when we arrive at our lodge.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

As far as I know, fees for both the Triangle and Narok sides of MM National Reserve are still $60 for adults. You pay according to where you're staying or entering and the 24-hour ticket is transferable during that time to the other side of the reserve if you want to cross over. Conservancy areas have their own fees and their own arrangements with the reserve authorities. For most visitors, all of this is fairly irrelevant, as their fees are included in their safari or the package they've bought with the property they're staying at.

Hope that's helpful.

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Narok
Narok
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

As 2011, daily park fees will change and be based on "high" and "mid-low" season. So for the Mara, some will be $80/$60 per adult and similar for children. And, if staying outside the Reserve/Triangle, expect a Conservancy fee which can bring the daily total daily $100+/person.

If booking thru an agent your price should cover daily room/tent and park fees as a single number; if direct thru lodge/camp these are often quoted separately. One fee goes to the lodge/camp, while the other to the park/reserve.

As to fairness... while in the States (and assume most 1st world countries) entry fees are the same for citizens and non-citizens (though there are senior, child, school, etc. discounts), many countries worldwide do have lower fees for locals. This is done to encourage their citizens, many of whom couldn't begin to pay the same fees as non-citizens, to visit these amazing areas - parks, mountains, rivers, forests, game, etc. etc., To understand why foreigners are interested in visiting, add to their economies and save/protect these wonders for future generations.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

Thanks 4sandi, that's very useful to know. Do you know what date the new fees regime will kick in and what season dates will be used? And do you have an online source for this info that you can share?

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

Richard - Sorry, not for the Mara, rather as I just located.....

" the proposed park fees increase is in KWS parks i.e. Amboseli, Nakuru, Tsavo East and West and Meru national parks. The increase is to be effected from January 2011, with the high season being $75 in 2011 and $90 in 2012. "

That said, it wouldn't surprise that there will be changes to non-KWS parks, especially once (if) the economic situation changes.

Like, "when was the last time (except for the Kenya Visa) you saw prices come down for anything?" :)

Mentioned in this post
Nakuru
Nakuru
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,264 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Meru Town
Meru Town
Eastern Province, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

I'm pretty shocked by the arrogance of the OP. Do you have any idea how long it would take a local resident to work to earn the $80 as you suggest?

Why should local businesses (the lodges) scam their own in order to give ungrateful foreigners a deal?

Maybe I'm missing something here or being a bit too harsh . . . I don't know.

If you don't like it, you can stay in America and enjoy the Grand Canyon or Yosemite or something.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

many of the lodges also offer discounted rates for Kenyan Residents....again I think this is completely understandable, the Kenya people deserve to be able to view the wonders of their won country without it being only accessible to tourists

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

TimeshareVon: I agree momnyc123's query may seem insensitive at first, but she's never visited Kenya before – I'm guessing this is all very new to her – and on first glance a multiple fee structure does seem unfair. Until you find out that Kenya's minimum wage has just been increased to US $38 *per month* for agricultural workers and realise that prices on the whole are very similar to those in the US – in fact in many cases they're a lot higher.

4sandi: thanks for the clarification. So it's a proposed KWS national parks increase. I don't see anything about this on the KWS website. Can you tell us where you heard it?

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Masai Mara Park Fees

Richard I have never been to Africa nor did I know "exactly" how much workers earn there but I was aware the difference between the US and countries there.

I think anyone who's thinking about a new cultural experience like going to Africa should at least have a minimal clue about things before they make comments like those.

I agree with sabroc in that the Kenyan Residents deserve affordable access to their country's treasures without paying outrageous (by their standards) prices.