We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency should I take to Kenya?

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What currency should I take to Kenya?

hi guys,

i'm wondering if anyone can help me?

i'm off to Kenya in 2 weeks and flying from the UK - i needed some advise on what currency to take over and where to exchange?

I was advised by the travel agent to exchange GB pounds into US dollars and take them over with me... is that correct?

I look forward to any advice.

Many Thanks

Javier

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

Hi Javier,

I'm afraid that is not good advice, and just shows how out of touch some travel agents are these days.

The 'FAQ - Which currency should I take?' on the MOmbasa Forum page should answer all your initial questions

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294210-c99830/Momb…

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

take your Pounds and change them accordingly you need them, if you do not like to carry to much cash, carry your ATM card and draw from the Barclays ATM

as and when you need money.

On many places, restaurants you cah pay with credit card.

do not get involved in buying a third currency, you will lose in the exchange rates only banks will earn.

enjoy your holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

You should be getting around 125 bob (Kenyan shillings) to the £.

The £ is slowly becoming stronger against the KSH.

Don't be gullible and get ripped off by changing your money in the U.K.

www.centralbank.go.ke/forex/default.aspx

Edited: 17 July 2010, 11:17
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

I've just returned from 12 days there and they accept sterling, dollars, kenyan shilling and credit cards. However at one camp one of the cleaners was left sterling by someone and they then asked us if we could change it as it does mean they then have to change it. Personally for tips I would use Kenyan shillings but in the shops or hotels they are happy to accept anything - well in our experience they were!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

Hi,

They may accept anything but usually at a very unfavourable exchange rate,

enfield&ugunja
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

I always take about $100-200, and Sterling of which I change about £100 or so into Ksh at Mombasa airport and change the rest as I need to at one of the many forex's in both Mombasa and Nairobi. I've generally found Abbey/ Santander debit cards don't work in Kenya and this is when I've told them the period I would be in Kenya

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
yorks
Level Contributor
370 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

hi, this is a worry, we have abbey/santander and have told them we intend to use, have no other option, bank messed up credit card, long story, but flippin nightmare

anyoner else had issues with using abbey atm?

thanks

Lisa

ps exchang in uk is shocking 110 bob to pound!!!!!

Lisa

Brisbane
Level Contributor
145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

While on this subject, we will be visiting from Australia and wonder if we will have any difficulty exchanging Australian dollars into KES at the various money changers. Would be good if we can do so easily, and at a reasonable rate, thereby saving a double exchange loss. Thanks in advance.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

Hi,

Most ATMs accept Visa cards, many accept Mastercard or Maestro (though some like CBA don't).

I have a Santander Zero Mastercard Credit card, it works in many ATMs here and I also use it regularly at Nakumatt (superstore).

I have a Nationwide Flex Debit Visa debit card, this works most of the time at Barclays ATMs and at some like Diamond trust Bank ATM (where it always works and which is the only ATM that says it runs a 'chip' application. (Barclays are upgrading their Computer System this weekend so it will be interesting to see if it has any effect) . I suspect the fact that this card gets declined quite frequently is something to do with it being a building oiciety rather than a bank, or some peculiarity in the comms to its computers

I have also frequently used a Yorkshire Bank Maestro (now Mastercard) debit card at all ATMs. and a Barclaycard Visa Credit card occasionally

The ATMs can be a little temperamental, they may sometimes refuse your card or decline the transaction, but it seems to be related to communication problems, sometimes I think it times out before it gets a response from the UK bank, it seems more prevalent when there are power cuts in the area.

I can see no reason why Santander cards should not work at at least some ATMs, after all they are a major bank who belong to the standard card associations.

As for Aus Dollars, I have no personal experience but this previous thread may help a little

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294207-i9695-k3…

It might be worth PM'ing the two Ausies in the thread to see if they have been yet and if so what their experience was

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What currency should I take to Kenya?

You'll need dollars (newish) if you are getting your visa on arrival. Otherwise change sterling here in Kenya.

One thing we've found if the ATM won't accept your card, you can go into the bank and get money there - slower, but it works!

Please tip in Kenya shillings - it is not easy for the person tipped to change forex themselves.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 14:44
Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa