We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diabled travel

derbyshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
diabled travel

hi, any information on disabled accomodation,transport and accessible safari would be gratefully received. literist

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diabled travel

Hi,

maybe if you state your disabilty a little we can advise a little better. Are you a wheelchair user? If thats the case you would be better at one of the hotels on Bamburi beach as they have less steps than say Voyager with has alot dwn onto the beach for example. The paths in Mombasa outside the hotels for the most part are non existant and the ones that are there are pretty bumpy and potholed. As for safari i am not so sure.

Hope that helps a little but im sure others will follow soon.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diabled travel

hi thanks for the reply,i am full time in chair ,i also need wheel in shower. 1 step would be the limit. would prefer to see more of the real country not just a complex with organised trips.yours gratefully literist

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diabled travel

Hi,

Member Alan-ROYGBIV is a wheelchair user who came to kenya and went on safari earlier this year - you coukld check some of his posts and reviews or send him a PM asking for his views. This is the forum posts page of his profile

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/Alan-ROYGBIV

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diabled travel

Ashnil Aruba lodge is wheel chair friendly and they do have specially designed showers. You need to tell them to ensure they allocate one of these rooms. Kiliguni lodge also, if I remember correctly has slopes etc and showers with no steps. White sands hotel is suitable for wheel chairs. A safari vehicle I am unsure of but expect other forum users will advise.

Good luck

danielle

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diabled travel

Alan stayed at Southern Palms which is equipped for disabled persons in wheel chairs and has a ramp even to get into the pool and the shower has no steps at all to get into. I would check with your travel agent to request a ground floor room overloooking the pool which has no stairs etc and is easy to get to the restaurants etc. etc as have facilities for this and also for the beach.

6. Re: diabled travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 06:17