We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel on the 8th..can't wait

Scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
travel on the 8th..can't wait

First time to Kenya.....my daughter's 21st birthday pressie and i couldn't possibly let her go on her own!!! lol.

Think im organised...staying at Voyager; safari organised with JT; trip to orphanage arranged and currently filling a holdall with supplies for it. Got a friendly pharmacist who is giving me requested calpol and paracetamol supplies for the orphanage at trade price which is great.

Im sure there wont be a problem however had a thought ...is there any restriction on the amount of these medicines i can take into the country???

thanks

uk
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

leobabe

calpol and paracetamol are easily available in Kenya, why not wait till you get there and buy them, I know you said you are getting them at trade price, but im sure you will be able to negotiate a bulk deal whilst there.

Scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

I had assumed that they were either hard to get or very expensive in Kenya and that was why they were on requested list....if i can get them cheaper there then that would be much better option. However i dont want to spend a lot of time negotiating this when im on holiday.,,,so any advice on where icould buy them/ expected prices near the Voyager greatly appreciated.

uk
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

There is the Nakumat (kenyan version of Tesco)lol, and also a few chemist/pharmacies not far from Voyager, any medication I have bought over the years whilst in Kenya seems to be on par with Uk prices and cheaper. ( and can definately be bartered for)

Edited: 24 August 2010, 20:27
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

I think buying Calpol here in the UK is sure to be the real medicine - some of the so called Calpol in Kenya has been impure ,

Also the Calpol sachets are difficult to buy in Mombasa and perfect for a childrens home as not all homes have a fridge ....

Scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

i did wonder about whether it would be the real medicine if i bought it over there as there have been a number of posts on here about fake malaria tablets.

I think i will stick with getting it here from my friendly pharmacist before i travel just to be on safe side.

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

nomis

only medicine ive seen you buy is phylisan

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

i would bring the paracetemol as well, I've only seen the branded versions such as Panadol here and they seem very expensive to someone who has been used to buying own brand generic paracetemol and ibuprofen from Boots and supermarkets in the UK

(I bring mine from Thailand where you can buy bottles of 100 rather than the blister packs of 16)

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

Leobabe - I am on medication and having gone out the customs especiallly security are very strict at this end - so I suggest that you get your doctor to write a letter with the medications you are takiing out. I am on a strong pain killer and he has done this for me already.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 11:30
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

Just to inform you all that the cost of paracetamol at our Mission Hospital is -/50 per tablet. This is tested and genuine. (So you can get over 200 tablets for £1 sterling.)

10. Re: travel on the 8th..can't wait

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 06:57