We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo as well as Mara?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tsavo as well as Mara?

Hi, we are going to Kenya/ mombassa at the end of July and from Reading the posts have decided that mara is much better to do than Tsavo. However while lots of animals are mentioned, very few people mention elephants in mara - are there many elephants in the mara or would you need to do tsavo as well to see these? Also am I correct in thinking the elephants in tsavo are red because of the dust and so even if there are elephants in mara they won't be beautiful red colour? Basically my question is... Is it worth doing tsavo if you're doing mara?

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

I personaly preffer Tsavo the Mara. In Tsavo you find lots of Elephants, in Mara you may look for them a long time till you find them.

The Area of Tsavo East or Tsavo West (which both differ each other) are

what you feel the real africa with its savanna bushy area's its pure wilderness...

on the other side you have the Mara... Out of Africa with it gras plains...

and the Arcazia like dots.....

If you combine the two, visit first Tsavo and then Mara....

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

As above. Tsavo and Amboseli for Ellies. They are in Maasai Mara too of course but not in the numbers of the other parks mentioned.

A large Bull against the backdrop of Kilimanjaro is an iconic picture of Amboseli.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

Granted there are more ellees found in Tsavo and Amboseli, but so too are there large herds in the Mara. This past June, I saw more ellees in the Mara than any other species. So, you won't go wrong with any of these locales.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

Hi - I just got back from Kenya on Tuesday. I saw hundreds of elephants in the Masai Mara. See my update I just posted. In fact I have been 2 other times 1997 and 2004 (both in September) and never have I seen so many animals as I did this time. I don't know if it was because the grass was lower but there was thousands and thousands of animals in the Mara. Last time I didn't see near the elephants I did this time.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

In Masai Mara we couldn't even get into our camp because of an elephant family crossing in front of us after seeing so many in our drive. We also sure enjoyed playing with rescued baby elephants at Sheldrick, touching, blowing into the trunks of our foster babies. Ah, the cute & playful Maalim rhino baby with warm soft skin and big feet. He became one of our extended family members, too..

uk
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

Sorry to say little Maalim died around 17 October you can find details on the Sheldrik web page.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

Poor little chap. He had a long struggle being premature.

But as they say. Another one has come along to fill the void. Welcome "Solio",

although not overlooking the fact that Orphans are often the tragic result of man's cruelty.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

Thanks to everyone who replied- although I am now more confused than ever about which national park to do haha!!! Would you get good photos of kili from Tsavo west or is it only in certain types of light/ weather? Also when given a quote from safari operators (via email) is it generally accepted as it is given or do you barter with them ( can't afford both tsavo and mara at prices given at moment but don't wish to be rude/ impolite to those just doing their jobs)?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

The 'Classic' views are from Amboseli but Kilimanjaro is visible from Tsavo West but further away. Best views are traditional first thing in the morning before clouds gather and sometimes towards sunset.

I am not going to get flamed by suggesting you stick to Tsavo and forget maasai Mara but |I will say if you are in Mombassa it will be cheaper to drive there as fly to Maasai Mara.

Not a lot of future in trying to get a reduction per se as you may find they will cheesepare the service to keep their margin. What you can do is be quite specific and suggest a budget to be kept to. Be upfront about it. Better they know that and work with you to keep the business than get no business. They may then move you down a grade in the accommodations. Where have they suggested?

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsavo as well as Mara?

ITA ^^^

They have to make their money somehow.. I wouldn't chance trying to nickel and dime an operator.. If they can't work with your budget, find someone who can. Do your research, get some idea of prices, know what you can spend, and be VERY specific about what you want and make sure it is spelled out.

Now.. in the bazaars, souks, and other shopping, I have no problem haggling because I am seeing the item right then and there... and it's part of the sport of shopping in those environments...merchants expect it and often give an outrageous first price because they know most tourists are going to haggle a bit..

but a trip, no way. The last thing I want is to be surprised when I get there.