We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comfy travel pillow.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Comfy travel pillow.

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help!

I am travelling to Kenya in Dec from the Uk, and i always have trouble sleeping/resting on long haul flights. (Specially night flights).

Can anyone recommend a good travel pillow that i can take with me and where to get one from the UK?

Would appriciate help as i need to rest as i will be travelling with a 2yr old!

Thank you...

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

A friend has just lent me one and (being in Kenya) our local tailoring shop is having a go to make one for me... If it works, I can send you a photo!!!

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

Thanks

Long Islander
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for or how severe your problem is. If you are merely looking for something to prop you up or lie against, the solution may be simple.

Possibly a small (one foot to two foot square/rectangular) pool pillow might do the trick. It takes up almost no room in our carry on. You can blow it up part way to your desires (even adjust it mid flight) and place it back in your luggage after the flight. They are very inexpensive and can be purchased in any swimming pool supply store.

If you want to test it out, purchase one before your trip and tru it out while driving or siting at home.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,220 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

Airlines usually provide small pillows - maybe ask for extra when you board? My youngest used to lie on pillows/blankets on the floor by our feet only to wake up when breakfast was served. Its only when you get older that its not so easy on a plane.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

I use one of those 1) blow-up pillows that fits around the neck to keep head from flopping around, or 2) already blown-up pillow as above for same purpose. At least with the blow-up you can deflat and store in luggage taking up no space. With the already filled pillow, you gotta carry it around... often see many at airports with these attached to their carryon.

These pillow are available from local travel/luggage shops and even at airport shops.

It's also a good idea to use an airline pillow for the base of your back/spine for additional support and comfort.

These all work for me, along with a drink and maybe even a sleeping pill. Arriving at my destination well rested.

Good luck!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

In the pound shop ( I swear they do not belong to me lol!!) there are really nice flock covered blow up cushions and in Matalan those "bean bag" animal neck pillows for £7.00 or you can buy them in the Motorway coffee stops .. bit dearer £15 for two

I make my own with a cheapo pillow cut in half and two multi coloured pillow slips [ not from pound shop ]

east sussex
Level Contributor
519 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

4sandi what sort of sleeping pill? a natural herbal type or a pescribed one? i can never sleep on board and would really welcome some tips

8. Re: Comfy travel pillow.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2011, 06:20