We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

Mombasa, Kenya
1 post
Save Topic
Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

I have been following most of the forums here and out of curiosity I have been wondering, what drives you as a destination expert to give advise to travellers consistently?

Please tell us a little more about yourselves

mombasa
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

Hi,

From what i have been reading, according to my opinion, some refer tourist to places of their interest business, we can see that from most forums, but we have genuine ones like Doffcocker , and of course genuine tourist giving back feedback on the travel experiences, which is very encouraging thing to see. Then we have those with interest in lodges may be they own or indirect directors, same to safari companies and children homes. Am sure many will disagree with my opinion, but that is what i feel. Any other ideas? keep the tripadvice lively.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

Do you really want to know???

I always wanted to be an air hostess and back in the Brit Cal days fancied a little tartan mini and an "exotic" job travelling around the world and being paid for it. Alas it wasn't to be and I settled for a husband, kids, cats and as much travel as I could afford. I now work for the NHS - totally different to my initial career choice.

My first visit to Kenya was back in 1990 - I've lost count of the number of visits now but we try to cram in 3 or 4 trips a year. Along the way we've had so many happy experiences and some not so good; made good friends and bad; visited glorious places and some **** holes!. Kenya has touched all in our family and I hope the little that I've experienced to date can be shared with all on TA.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

What drives me is the desire to see guests in my country get the best value for their money, the best in customer service and develop a strong desire to return and learn more about Kenya - which is a far more complex nation than most who visit will ever understand.

I know my posts often err on the side of cynicism but that's invariably because I've seen how the scams, greed and corruption work here and I don't want visitors to my home to be taken in by them.

As for me... Kenya-born and Kenya-bred (strong in the arm and thick in the head (as we say here)). I work mainly in private security and investigations but have tried my hand at many things in several different countries, including managing a lodge in the Masai Mara, living and working in Europe/UK and some time in the US. Am pretty well-travelled and well-read, and don't suffer fools gladly. Love the TA community and the advice it gives, and learn something every time I read/post here.

FL410

South Wales
Level Contributor
267 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

I am indebted to everyone who has answered my questions with patience and good humour (regardless of how stupid they are) my initial trip to Kenya would not have been the same and my next trip a week Friday has been even easier in the plannning.

I enjoy learning about all the advisors who are a great source of knowledge,

I too wanted to be an air hostess (every girls dream) and now just settle for travelling as far and often as I can and being glad I'm not the one walking the aisles and smiling during an overnight 9 hour flight ;-)

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

I fell in love with Kenya on my honeymoon. My hubby is great at planning and arranging our safaris (an absolutely uncanny knack of where everything is and distances etc) and we've stayed at some 5 star lodges and some that are lower down the scale. We've stayed at some very well known places and not so well known and that's the glory of having a private vehicle and driver.

I like to help people where I can and despite the odd times when I've been a bit acerbic on here, the majority of forum uses are friendly and passionate about Kenya which is why I keep on keeping on!! And thank goodness most of the DE's and regular posters speak the truth (ever shall it remain.....!)

Now, many many trips later, I've made some lovely friends in Kenya, some very good contacts in Kenya and I both support an orphanage (not mentioned or advertised on here.....) and I send a young lady to school who I am extremely proud of. We try and meet up every trip.

I think, in a nutshell, all of us DE's so passionately want to share our enthusiasm and "insider knowledge" of Kenya. It's a beautiful country, beautiful people and especially this year, I am indebted to them for saving my life.

I will never NOT return.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,257 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

May I also take this opportunty to extend a big thanks to the D/Es, the unsung, and sometimes unappreciated, heros (and heroines) of TA.

Exits hummming "We all want to fly Caledonian".

uk
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

im not a destination expert but after tembos bit i think a tartan skirt and wellies would go down well lol

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

Mike (TA) asked me to do a profile and I said I would when our Internet settled down.... Maybe one day...... (I am actually British)

Meanwhile, I enjoy reading about places I could never afford to visit, but I do know a few of the more unusual things about Western Kenya, having lived here for over 30 years. I am also an expert on crossing the road from JKIA Arrivals to Domestic Departures, pushing a trolley and negotiating kerbs. I once gave them a suggestion - to move the marked crossing from a high kerb to the slope.....

Edited: 24 November 2010, 09:52
Gaborone, Botswana
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination Experts, tell us a bit about yourselves

My vote

1.FLFourOneZero

2.Yankari

3.doffcoker

4.Tembo fan

5.Maybe mfuwe..........

Special mention -FL FOUR always impartial in his posts