We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap flights

mombasa
11 posts
Save Topic
Cheap flights

Does anyone know of any cheap flights in June/July from Mombasa to London. I want to go home for a month and the cheapest flight so far is over £700. They don't seem to do any cheap deals like they do in the UK!!!!! Anyone know of a cheap way to get home?????????

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap flights

Kenya Airways quite often do offers to London, but from Nairobi. However, the price advertised often doesn't include tax. You should be able to get a fare from about Kes 78000 in total. Going direct from Mombasa may be more, but am unsure, £700 isnt unusual for this route, unfortunately.

I just keep checking the net: Virgin, KLM etc.

Good luck

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap flights

just checked ethiopean ailines , 7th jul £417 , try there web site

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap flights

That price from Ethiopian looks good. The change in Addis is fine. If it is a long layover (I think 8 hours or more) they put you in a Hotel.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap flights

Hi,

I would have thought that as you are going from here to the UK and back that you will get a better deal from an African airline, such as Ethopian, Egyptair, KQ. Good deals on European airlines tend to be from Europe rather than to Europe.

have a rummage around with dates on sites such as Opodo and Expedia (there are also Skyscanner and Kayak but I think they are better when American flights are involved).

Be flexible with the dates. If you find a price on Opodo or Expedia check the price on the Airlines website as well. You may also be better looking for a deal from Nairobi and the booking MBA - NBO separately

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap flights

I agree with Doffcocker, except forget Egyptair!!

Friends used them (from Nairobi) last year. They got to UK all right, but on the way back, the plane from London was late and they missed the connection to Nairobi. I think it took them 52 hours to get here in the end!! They said "Never again".

The KQ website has a nice chart with days of cheaper flights. Ethiopian is a bit frustrating, because there isn't (or wasn't) such a comparison.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap flights

If your a British passport holder it will be cheaper using one of the charter airlines. Look on Thomson or Firstchoice websites. If your a Kenyan passport holder you cant fly on a charter flight.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap flights

Hi Malla,

i thought that the UK regulations for charter flights meant that journeys could only begin and end in the UK, is that not right?

Edit: Well that's the great thing about TA you are always learning, looks like you can book flights from Mombasa to London or Manchester on the Thomson website

Edited: 04 March 2011, 14:51
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap flights

<<If your a Kenyan passport holder you cant fly on a charter flight.>>

Surely it is unlawful to discriminate on grounds of Race or Nationality?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap flights

<<If your a Kenyan passport holder you cant fly on a charter flight.>>

Surely it is unlawful to discriminate on grounds of Race or Nationality?

A charter flight is exactly that "a charter flight" so they have the right to carry whom they choose. UK ones has always been UK passports holders only. Just like in Kenya there is a price for Kenyans and a price for the rest. ie. hotels prices, nothing illegal in it.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap flights

Hello Paul,

I used to go up to Somak and book flights back home in years gone by but i think they have just recently started doing it online, though i have not tried to see if they actually let you book a Mombasa to UK charter on their site one way home.