We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
50 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

I have called Thomson holidays today to arrange additional excess luggage, for free, one way, to take donated clothes and stationery to Kenya with me to donate to the local schools and orphanages.

It appears not to be that simple! I need letters on headed notepaper, registered charity numbers etc etc. Anyone have any advice?

Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Our invoice says 20KG each. I phoned the shop where we booked today and they have said that Thomson will have to honour the 20KG on the invoice so any change in standard allowance will only apply to new bookings- she wasn't aware it had changed. Will be checking our tickets carefully when they arrive.

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Your advic has been really helpful, I intended to bring paper pencils etc as this is what I was told was needed but will now bring underwear. I have also had a wonderful friend knitting little teddy bears which are as light as feathers and will purchase food and make donations when we visit. Thank you for your advice.

Di

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Di - don't bring paper and pencils!! Paper is heavy and you can buy both easily and cheaply here. The quality may not be as good, but the children don't care about that!! A 32 page exercise book was 4/- last time i bought one!! (Even if it has gone up, it won't be much more than 4p).

Underwear is a sensible idea. The quality (and therefore lasting properties) is what matters there. I am amazed at how cheap it is in UK!! Second hand underwear is not a permitted import, so we can't get it on the local market.

Buying food is a very good option. There are many people starving.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Agree with Asifiwe 100%, we buy lots of underwear & socks from Asdas, its small & light and all you will see is delighted faces, a pack of three prs knickers for a £1 will cheer up a little girl, it maybe the only three pairs she has, also buying food whilst you are there is the second great idea, it is making a massive difference at the minute!!

London
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

We take my grandchildren's clothes since they grow so quickly and the Arsenal outfits are always in demand. However, because they are in such good condition, I was once stopped and expected to pay tax on them imports. Some outraged shouting back at the gorilla (trying to line his pockets) saved the day but just be aware and don't actually tell them what you have.

As others have said, we needed to get accreditation from an orphanage to get an allowance by which time Thomsons allocation for this purpose was used up, so we paid for the excess ourselves.

Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Got confirmation back from Thomson that their luggage allowance changed from 16 December 2010 so bookings before that will still have the 20Kg allowance.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Visit www.packforapurpose.org , an American Charity that will connect you to Kenyan schools in the slums and other marginalized areas .

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Visitor 53 - I think you are perhaps wrong there - but who am I to say - being out 32 times - have you got the correct dates - Just back from S.P. AND i GOT MY 20 KILOS AND PAID FOR MORE - FIVE KILOS AND also a good allowance for charity baggage from Thomson.

In fact Thomson have a great deal to do with Footprints Orphanage but I will not argue with that as you support another school.

Good luck with all your doing.

Little birds tell me you are doing well as we are!!!!!!!

Kind regards Anne

Edited: 30 June 2011, 19:33
Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

Thanks for kind wishes Malaika. Glad you've had another good trip to Southern Palms. Had a quick look at e-mail from Thomson pre-travel - it definitely says bookings before 16th December 2010 but will be printing it out and taking it with me just in case!

Bungoma
1 post
Save Reply
50. Re: Getting free excess luggage to take donated goods to orphans

We have a children home in Bungoma that is need of these items you have, how can we get them?

The home is registered legally with ministry of Home affiars/ children Department. please contact me at- ogaraus@yahoo.com