We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

california
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

My husband and I and two other couples have been planning a safari to Kenya for this fall. Unfortunately, the Dept of State has elevated the terror risk there and is discouraging travel so our friends want to cancel the trip. Has anyone traveled there recently and can advise as to how dangerous it really is? Thanks for any relevant information.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

I have just returned & not a problem in sight, stayed in Kilifi about 60km north of Mombasa and felt safe all the time, actually in the 12 years we have been visiting Kenya I have never feel threatened, again you be careful where you go at night and we tend not to drive after dark as it tends to be like the "whacky races".

Our only concern and we hope & pray the elections at the end of the year pass over peacefully and people do not get embroiled in the violence that happened after the 2007 elections but that is actually the December 2011 / January 2012 period.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

It is no more dangerous in Nairobi than any other big city anywhere in the world. Likewise if on the coast. And, when on safari, even less possibility of anything unforeseen.

Friends were in Kenya only 3/weeks ago and found it to be the same as it's been in years past when they've visited.

As with travel anywhere, you simply do not leave your common sense at home.

And, as far as the US State Dept warning, know this have been issued and re-issued every 6-8/months, and is a "warning" not a "do not travel" (as Cuba or No. Korea). A warning as it would be traveling anywhere these days.

If your friends wish to stay home, their choice. You go and report back what a wonderful experience and all those amazing photos and tales to tell!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Hi,

Unfortunately nowhere is immune from the threat of terrorism these days, think New York, Washington, Oklahoma, London, Paris, Madrid, Moscow, Mumbai, Tokyo etc

To put it into context over 1 million people visited Kenya in 2010 and I cannot remember a single news report of a tourist being harmed

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Marym062, just a point of correction, as per our constitution and unless something drastic happens, elections are not due this year. This in reality should be in August 2012 as per the new constitution, it is just the politicians who have set the country in an election mood with their outbursts about the ICC/Hague issues. Just as Doffcker has said nowhere is immune to threat of terrorism, we continue to get visotors from America coming to Kenya despite the travel warnings, you will see more postings on this forum encouraging you to come over

Nakuru, Kenya
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Kenya is generally safe to travel in the year 2011. The dept of state has continued to issue travel advisories, and with this we have not had any major incident of insecurity in recent years. Note that Kenya neighbours Somalia where there have been war all along, but the government has always safeguarded its borders.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Hi Allanchasia

Thanks for that information, hopefully everything will pass over peacefully in August 2012 and the Kenyan people can look forward to a fair & much improved government !!

california
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Thanks! I plan to do just that!! :)

maui, hi
Level Contributor
184 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

We just returned for the second time and felt safe. Like anywhere in the world you always should be careful. Every lodge and hotel in which we stayed had tons of security. We walked around Nairobi with our 9-year-old all day with not a problem.

Additionally, we read in the various Kenyan newspapers that they have a mandatory death penalty for robbery with violence, which they enforce, and is tried in the courts very quickly.

Kenyan people and the land where they live are wonderful--don't miss a chance to see either.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Just to add, I am British and living here..... This is a wonderful country!

Palisades Park, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

I just returned last week from Kenya & Tanzania and both are safe. I live in New York area, and we were fine, no problems what so ever, except for an elephant coming after me for photographing his baby. Seriously, you will love it, except for the roads in Kenya, are horrible. They call it an African Massage, for over 2 hours it was awful. The roads in Tanzania are a lot better and on seeing the animals, I think because Tanzania has a lot more water for the animals, that their were hundreds of them. If you go, try to stay at the Sopa's, they are Awesome!. When we landed in Nairobi, we stayed at the Safari Park Hotel, and loved it. They have a BBQ with a cat show at night, we Loved it!. We went with Liberty Africa Safari in Kenya and Simba Safari in Tanzania. Our both guides were excellent. Our favorite place in Tanzania was Ngorongoro Sopa followed by Serengeti Sopa, I cried when I

left here. Truly Amazing