We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

california
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

My husband and I and two other couples have been planning a safari to Kenya for this fall. Unfortunately, the Dept of State has elevated the terror risk there and is discouraging travel so our friends want to cancel the trip. Has anyone traveled there recently and can advise as to how dangerous it really is? Thanks for any relevant information.

Voluntours Adventures
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Serian Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Hi,

there has been no noticeable change at all, at least here at the coast,

I am not anti-American, despite being married to one many years ago :^) so please don't take this the wrong way, but I always find it mildly ironic that Americans are sometimes so paranoid about safety and security in other countries when they live in what is regarded by the rest of the western world as probably the most dangerous developed country in the world, mainly because of its attitude to guns. (In 2010 536 people were murdered in New York City alone, and a specific example, two UK tourists were recently shot dead by a 16 year old in Florida )

A little bit of context:

Between 1968 and 2006 Kenya suffered 11 terrorist incidents, the USA suffered 548

In those 11 incidents 242 people were killed, these were virtually all in two incidents (20 were killed in the Norfolk Hotel bombing in 1980, and 218 of them in the US Embassy bombing in 1998, 12 of these were American),

In the 548 US incidents 3,227 people were killed, even excluding the 2,752 killed on 9/11 more than twice as many people were killed in terrorist acts in the US tnan in Kenya

sources:

nationmaster.com/graph/ter_ter_act_196_fat-t…

nyc.gov/html/…2010_murder_in_nyc.pdf

…cnn.com/2003-10-29/…

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,969 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

"Keep calm and carry on" indeed.

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

nh90 - we live here!! (North of Kisumu). They just had an earthquake in Spain. Even New Zealand and Japan had a terrible earhquakes. So where are you safe?

I think you are more likely to be killed on the road than by Bin Laden's people.

Come and enjoy Kenya!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

According to the media no where is safe these days, murders, abductions, muggings apart from all the natural disasters which Asifwe mentions. I frequently go to Kenya and have always felt as safe as in UK. We leave valubles at home and don't flash money around. We do drive and visit local bars and eat out in the evening. Please go and enjoy the holiday. Doff, I found your statistics amazing, like I have said before you are a mine of information. x

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

thanks for all of the replies and assurance. I really want to go, and I needed something to calm my family

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Im glad you feel better now...Time to start a new thread entitled

"Is it really safe to return to the USA from my unforgettable safari?"

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,969 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Well? Is it?

The Foreign Offices give no guidance as whether folks should return home. I suppose they leave it to our discretion. Mugs!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
647 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

I have been reading this thread with amusement - you all have the right attitude!

I am planning to take my two teenage daughters on a Safari trip to Kenya and Tanzania in the summer of 2012. I would be curious to hear of any specific advice regarding:

1. Time Frame - seems that there will be elections in Kenya in August 2012 - would travel during July/August 2012 be ill-advised?

2. As women traveling alone are there any specific suggestions for safety? The 3 of us travel together quite often, and have never had any issues. We take the normal precautions, but nothing out of the ordinary. Are there certain areas we should avoid altogether? My sense is that we will be flying in and out of Nairobi - any concerns there?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
809 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

If we all listened to all of the "doom and gloom" messages and unsafe to travel warnings, we would all sit in our homes and go no place. My motto:

"Anything can happen anywhere."

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

"1. Time Frame - seems that there will be elections in Kenya in August 2012 - would travel during July/August 2012 be ill-advised?

2. As women traveling alone are there any specific suggestions for safety? The 3 of us travel together quite often, and have never had any issues. We take the normal precautions, but nothing out of the ordinary. Are there certain areas we should avoid altogether? My sense is that we will be flying in and out of Nairobi - any concerns there?"

1. Yes, in my humble opinion (as a local), it would. There's absolutely no way of knowing at this point if, and to what point, violence will flare up. The 2007/2008 unrest was relatively well-contained, sporadic, localised and remained tribal. There is no guarantee that, were there to be violence during the next elections, the situation would remain the same. Many people have made, or are making, plans to be out of the country during that period (myself included).

2. No concerns that I can think of. Use your common sense as you would in any other big city or foreign country. Don't wear valuables, or flash cameras or mobile phones around. You will find that men's attitudes to women here are probably quite different to what you're used to. Women (particularly white women) are considered second-class citizens in many African countries, Kenya included. Be cautious and firm around the men if you are a single woman - particularly if you are, or look, quite young.

Mentioned in this post