We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

My husband and I and two other couples have been planning a safari to Kenya for this fall. Unfortunately, the Dept of State has elevated the terror risk there and is discouraging travel so our friends want to cancel the trip. Has anyone traveled there recently and can advise as to how dangerous it really is? Thanks for any relevant information.

Malik Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

The most up to date information from anyone is here, Page 5, 2nd post by Richard:

Given the chap is a frequent visitor to say the least, it is about as dependable as your can get.

Now calm down people.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 19:26
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

me and my family want to go to kenya august 2012 i am a bit worried with the bitish lady getting kidnapped i no if i dont go i will regret it because it is my only chance to go can anyone reasure me is it safe country to go to

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Have you read all the posts on this topic, or did you just post at the end here? If not, it would be worth reading through this and all the other "safety" threads on this forum to save contributors having to repost replies all over again :-)

maui, hi
Level Contributor
196 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

We just happened to notice the US State Department warning while checking for warnings about Guatemala for a trip there next month. Amazingly, Guatemala is NOT on the list, yet Kenya is, even though I seem to hear worse things going on in Guatemala.

We were just in Kenya in March 2011 on a safari with visits to Nairobi, Samburu, Masai Mara and places in between. All the lodges and guides take very good care of you. In fact, they are actually OVERprotective!!! We even walked all over Nairobi by ourselves with our little boy with absolutley no problems, just as we did 11 years ago.

We speak to the pool manager of the Mara Sarova Lodge on a weekly basis and he tells us the problems are in the north, near Somalia.

I would not ever pass up an opportunity to visit Kenya. It is a "must see" experience you can't leave Earth without seeing. You can have something bad happen to you anywhere, anytime. And once you return, post something here and let others know how great your trip was!

Nairobi, Kenya
7 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

Kenya is safe to travel. You only need to take basic precautions

56. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya in 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:18