We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Has anyone travelled by train on either of these routes lately? Is it safe/reasonably comfortable for families with teenage children?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Hi,

if you do a search here you will find plenty info about the train between Nairobi and Mombasa.

I did it once about 5 years back. It is an experience of what rail travel was earliesh 20th century is what i will say. I dont think it is too comfy or reliable though.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

The train is currently running twice a week between Nairobi and Mombasa and may also be running between Nairobi and Kisumu (in theory three times a week, but almost certainly less) . The only guranteed way of finding the currrent schedules (should be Mon and Fri ex Nairobi 7pm, arr Mombasa roughly 14-20 hrs later) is to ask at the railway stations in person.

Sadly there haven't been any connecting or through trains to Kampala for decades.

Richard

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

My wife and I (mid 60's), took the Nairobi/Mombasa train last year. It was an interesting experience and worth doing at least once. The 1st class berths were somewhat dated but the bedding clean and the food passable. Met a lot of interesting characters and enjoyed the trip. Don't expect it to be on time however. Our train was stuck for nine hours due to a derailment along the lines, but if you are not in a hurry it's a recommended journey. Kids would enjoy it to and we saw quite a few families.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Thank you everyone!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Operations of the KR was taken over by a Consortium in South Africa some years ago in an effort to improve efficiency.

Unfortunately, have'nt seen any improvement in service, probably gone worse.

I would'nt recommend going to MBA by train b'coz it's a terribly slow 12 HR journey with frequent stops at all stations en-route.

I suggest going by road as they were recently refurbished. 'Runway type' all the way. There are very good Coach services to MBA like 'Modern Coast' -OXYGEN.

thesafariplace.com/listing/799/129/Modern-Co…

Stef

Stef.

Edited: 21 May 2011, 09:08
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

As Yankari says, very sadly there haven't been any passenger trains to Kampala for MANY years! Even the service from Nairobi to Malaba is not there. A pity.

To Mombasa is an experience...., but I have not done it for years. It depends on how quickly you want to reach Mombasa! It is very different from UK and US trains.

enfield&ugunja
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Would suggest you do it the other way round -from Mombasa to Nairobi and also Nairobi - Kisumu

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

Mombasa - Nairobi. Is that because you SHOULD come into Nairobi through the Game Park in the early morning and see something?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

If you don't mind about the speed and quality,i can say that the experience is rather good.It has a historic touch,especially the trip between Nairobi and Mombasa.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train rides Nairobi to Mombassa and Kampala to Nairobi

I think this will be a good experience for our teenagers. They haven't been exposed to any third world and it is time they were.