We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insect repellant

California
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
insect repellant

We were in Kenya few years ago and had an incredible trip. One of my daughters was very susceptible to insect bites and, at one point, had 27 (!) while the rest of us had minimal bites.

My daughter gets to go to Kenya again next month and I'm trying to be proactive with what we refer to as her "sweet blood"...I've searched the forums for the most recommended repellants but need some clarification...I see a brand called Jungle highly recommended and also Avon skin so soft. There seem to be multiple products with these names...can anyone give me more specifics?

I'd also love to hear if there are other products and also how often/how much people applied. Any tips to help my daughter stay bite-free (or, at least be bitten just a few times) would be so welcome. Strategies for being out during the day vs. in at night? Also, once bitten, has anyone found a product that takes away the sting/itch/irritation?

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: insect repellant

Avon Skin So Soft isn't an insect repellent (& isn't sold as one either), it's merely a skin moisturiser. However, the greenish/bluey one (Woodland something or other) is supposed to contain the same ingredient you find in pet flea collars.

I have it but only use it as a moisturiser on my arms and legs in the hope that it MIGHT add extra support my mossie repellent............which is any old brand as long as it contains 50% DEET. If you want a more natural one for your daughter then look for one which contains Citronella - Boots sell one I think.

We spray it on often (& prefer an aerosol for speed/convenience). Works well enough for us.

We've tried loads of stuff to stop itching on occasions when we've been bitten, nothing much seems to work. Got a weird gadget which you 'click' on your skin several times around the bite.........rubbish. A stick/pen looking thing called AfterBite which contains amonia........rubbish. Itch/bite cream.........rubbish. I usually use Tea Tree oil but not convinced it really works too well but I kid myself it does (whilst scratching).

You'll get all the 'covering up' advice from someone else, but I got my worst set of bites whilst covered up wearing loose trousers (so I was lazy about applying my mozzie spray anywhere but my feet/ankles. One managed to fly up my trouser leg and bit my backside to bits!!!! So much for being covered.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: insect repellant

http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/faq.asp?levelid=2595&category=Product+Queries

Here's a response from Avon regarding it's repellent properties.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: insect repellant

I researched insect repellents and insecticides for months before our 30 days of African Safaris. None of my party of 5 got bitten, even though mosquitoes swarmed our elephant guides, riding the same elephants with us, in Botswana. I would watch the mosquitoes drift from the guide toward me, and when they got closer to me, they immediately reversed their direction away from me. I admit that other than Botswana, the season (all of September 2010) really cut down on the mosquito population.

I used a combination of RID (which contains multiple repellents, including some DEET and multiple Fly repellents) and NATRAPEL (picaridin). Four out five vultures refused to get near and eat raw meat out of my hand in South Africa - they backed away. The Fifth vulture did eat the raw meat out of my hand.

I have extensively documented my insect repellent findings, including toxicity, effectiveness, duration of protection and more, here:

www.woodsmall.com/insect-repellents.htm

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: insect repellant

Avon Skin-so-Soft, IR3535 is the one that has the repellent unllke the other versions of SSS which are basically lotions and may work for some people.

In your case, you can find out the info about the IR3535 with a Google search for "Avon skin-so-soft insect repellent." I've never seen it in stores, so likely has to be ordered online.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: insect repellant

I live here and swear by Mosi-Guard, which is 100% natural and works a treat www.mosi-guard.com/Pages/wheretobuy.html

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything with DEET

There's also a pump spray from Dr Johnson's, a UK product that's sold here in pharmacies and supermarkets which is citronella-based and 100% natural and which works very well.

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: insect repellant

A tip to relieve the itching if you get stung which I picked up in Spain many years ago when my parents lived out there was to dab on neat BLEACH! I can almost see you all throwing up your hands in horror -as I did, but after spending a fortune in the pharmacy for products which did absolutely nothing, I raided the kitchen sink cupboard and dabbed on the bleach - the relief cannot be described! A word of warning though - do not use ona bite where the skin has been broken, and it may be good idea to try a patch test first - just in case. Oh and just the ordinary thin runny type bleach, not the thick variety. Would love to hear if it works for anyone else as it does for me and my family.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: insect repellant

Info on IR3535:

woodsmall.com/insect-repellents.htm#IR3535

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: insect repellant

Mosquito BITES - TREATING

www.woodsmall.com/insect-repellents.htm#BITES

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: insect repellant

To relieve itching from bites, we use Aloe Lips, available from "Forever".

www.foreverliving.com (from tube!). DON'T LAUGH - it works for me.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: insect repellant

After Bite also works a treat - contains ammonia and urea (same result as urine on the affected area (in desperation!)).

Not entirely sure why anyone would be carrying neat bleach around with them! ;-)