We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lewa Downs in November/December

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lewa Downs in November/December

I'm planning on being in Kenya November 28-December 3, 2011. Part of my time (3-4 nights) will be spent at Masai Mara, but I'd like to spend two nights at another park. I liked Lewa Downs because it has both rhinos, and the northern species like Grevy's zebras. However, I was reading that Lewa Downs closes in November. Is that true? If so, should I try to go the last few days of my trip, or is that area not good at all during this time of year?

If so, does anyone have opinions on Samburu vs Lake Nakuru? Samburu has the Northern species, but Lake Nakuru has rhinos.

Thanks.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

Many properties close Nov thru mid-Dec. the "short" rainy period.

If looking for rhino and grevy zebra, consider Ol Pejeta Conservancy where you will find Sweetwater's (also the chimp sanctuary here), can do night game drives. This conservancy has many of the same species as does Lewa.

2. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 November 2011, 18:35
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

You were in africa last season (even though you're already there) and went to the masai mara (sic) with cheltif tours? You went from africa to africa with yourself? Bizarre...

Try reading the forum guidelines on self-promotion and advertising...

If you want to advertise, first buy a spell-checker, then learn to use capital letters and finally, do what the rest of us do - PAY for your advertising!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

FL410,

I was more puzzled by the visit to Turkana; I thought it was only loonies like me and Aid Workers who went that far!!

GJ

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

GJ -

Certainly not an aid worker :-) and not quite as far to Turkana, but I did back about 4/yrs ago, visit at the Desert Rose* which is a 5/hr drive south. Staying here was probably the most relaxing 4/days ever spent in Kenya or anywhere for that matter. Myself, a friend and Emma (owner)... it was ' just us gals'... and, of course, the area is absolutely beautiful.

* listening to Sting in the background!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

sandi,

I was with you all the way to the Sting thing.........now there is an Englishman who should stay in New york!!

GJ

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

... I believe he does most of the time!

8. Re: Lewa Downs in November/December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 05:18