We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Hi, when we were in Kenya in April we met someone we would like to send some money to. It won't be alot, but perhaps every now and then we'd like to send him some money. Do you know what would be the best way of doing this (if the person doesn't have a bank account in Kenya) for the least possible fee. Thanks

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Hi there,

We have a very similar situation following a holiday in Tanzania. We use Western Union. You need to set up an account and then you can do all your transactions online. Decide how much you want to send and follow the online instructions. You will get a transaction number that you need to send to the person - we do this by text. You also need to have a security question that the person will need to know the answer to eg Name of my son? The person will then needs to go to a Western Union Office. They will need photo ID - not a problem in Tanzania as they have ID cards but don't know about Kenya and they will also need your name, the transaction number and to answer the security question. They can then pick up the money in cash. It is usually available for collection within about 10 minutes of us doing the transaction.

There are several Western Union offices in the town where our friend lives in Tanzania so would think there would be some near where this person lives in Kenya but I think you can check online.

The charges depend on the amount sent. Up to £50 is about £5.

We have found this works very well. The first time we sent money like this our friend in Tanzania was very surprised how easy it was for him to pick it up.

This is the best ,cheapest and most secure way we have found to send money. I think you can also do a Moneygram but we like Western Union.

I hope this makes sense. Do ask any further questions if it doesn't or you want to know anymore.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

The details laid out above by ShepofBristol apply the same for transfers via Western Union to Kenya.

We use it regularly.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Thank-you very much, we're just looking into Western Union now. Think we'll probably just send about £20-£30 initally, just curious, but would you think this is a reasonable amount to send as a gift to someone, e.g. how far will this go in Kenya? Thanks

Devon uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Sending money on the same day service, through Western Union is much more expensive than sending it using the next day service i.e. sending £100 on the same day service is about £14 and the same amount sent using the next day service the cost is £4.90.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Thanks, just on Western Union now, and on the payment page it's asking me for card details, I have a VISA debit card but there is only an option for Mastercard/Visa CREDIT cards and Electron/Switch ones..... I do have Mastercard and Visa credit cards, but I presume these will charge me a fee and there isn't an option for a VISA debit card, am I missing something....

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Just put in the debit card details where it says credit card. If you use a credit card you will be charged interest for a cash transaction.

Don't seem to have ever been offered "Next day" service when sending to Tanzania but then we only tend to send around £50 so £4.90 charged.

Yes I'm sure £20-£30 will be gratefully received but will still cost £4.90 so we tend to send about £45 at a time to minimise the costs to us.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

To give you an indication of costs and what around £30 will buy we have sent our friend in Tanzania £45 to pay for his daughter to do a 6 week Microsoft computer course.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Western Union is quite expensive but if the recipient has no bank account there are not too many options.

An example at todays rate.

To send £100 from the U.K to Kenya will cost £109.80.

The recipient would receive 13,810 Ksh

(The true value of £100 at todays bank rate is 14,280Ksh)

Todays exchange rate is £1 = 142.8Ksh.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Moneygrams are much cheaper to send than Western Union. I do it through my local Post Office. The money handed over to counter does have to be in Cash and the recipient can go to most Banks in their country and receive the money within 10 mins of you sending it. Look MONEYGRAM up on the website for more info .

Edited: 13 June 2011, 07:09
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sending money to Kenya from UK and Costs

Yes the downside of Moneygram is that you have to go and do this in person. For us Western Union was much easier because you can do it all online from home. For small transactions I don't think there is much difference in cost (if any).