We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Interesting article first broadcast on Woman's Hour - available on

iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011tz8k

She promotes a film, narrated by Morgan Freeman, Born to be Wild in 3D

http://www.imax.com/borntobewild/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2Af-H7ZnI

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Hi,

She was on BBC Breakfast TV this morning as well promoting it, together with some clips from the film, which confused me because as I walked into the room the clip was showing baby Orangutans. I thought were we wrong about the recent question about a Orangutan refuge, but it turns out the elephant orphanage shares the film with one for Orangutans in Borneo.

Here's another link

sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/html/IMAXBorntobe…

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Anyone else watched this yet? Just seen it... absolutely fantastic - can thoroughly recommend, but bring the Kleenex, hey?

Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Unfortunately the only IMAX theatre in the UK currently showing it is in Bradford. Looks like we might have to wait for the DVD or else head up to Yorkshire for the day!!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

We don't have IMAX at all here - I watched it at home. Not in 3D - but utterly enchanting nonetheless :-)

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

We went to Bradford to see it a few weeks ago, just over an hour away for us. It was absolutely wonderful. The little elephants trunk poking out of its door was so close you wanted to reach out and touch it. It really got me in the mood for visiting the elephant we foster in August and I now know where I'd like to go next year - Borneo, the baby urangutangs were so cute. Definately worth going to see it and the Media museum is really good as well.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

Ha - those Orang Utans were amazing, no? My favourite was the one who refused to go in the van and rode on the back of the scooter instead... hilarious!

South East England
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

This still on at IMAX Waterloo and Science Museum. I'm desperate to see it!

gt yarmouth norfolk...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

been to Mombasa many times,and heard you have a rescue center in tsavo east,but never been able to make enquiries. due to stay at bamburi beach june 30th until july 14th. would dearly love to visit, and adopt. if it is possible to arrange, as a pensioner, this will be my last visit. I do hope you can offer me information to visit. mrs d. m. whitehead

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

You need to get in touch with David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and foster an elephant, only then you will be able to visit their rescue centre in Tsavo, but that also will have to be arranged in advance. Drop them a line and you will get all the first hand information www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp

I hope this helps.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

10. Re: Dame Daphne Sheldrick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 05:17