We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
818 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Just wonder whether white is acceptable for safari or it will spooke animals or attract insects.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Hey DD. I don't give my clothes away. They fit too well around the parts that matter. And Lady M would wash them anyay as she would hate to give dirty clothes to others. What would they think of her? So I would be down my favourite togs and have paid to have them washed!

But strappy tops are so not me.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Agree with you Mfuwe - my hubby wouldn't give his away either - he takes our older ones to give away. And new ones to special friends and Heart of Midlothian football strips which we also give to the orphanage Footprints we support.

The ones he wears are too good to give away and fit him well too and some of the makes we can't buy now like pringle who have gone out of buisness.

Also he has some Harrods I bought at the airport shops when having to leave from down South and they can't be bought either now.

We don't have a Harrods here and I rely on the internet.

It is myself that wears the strappy tops - I knew you were joking though!!!!

Edited: 19 July 2011, 08:32
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Well I do leave them all behind - laundered and with a note of consent !! I always bring back my Chanel/vera wang dresses -and the old mans Paul Smith jackets cant leave those behind :)

as for wearing "best" clothes -why? when as an old timer of "many" safaris you know how clothing is ruined?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Yes Edna, but wearing my Amani gear on Safari is just so touristy and would irreparably damage my image although I guess the comment was not for my eyes alone!

I far prefer my beat up kecks and a shirt with the sleeves torn off with cartridges in the breast pocket.

Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Malaika

You'll be pleased to know Pringle of Scotland have not actually gone out of business- online shop details below:-

http://www.pringlescotland.com/

I started my accountancy career there more years ago than I will ever admit to!

x

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

I love the cheese/chive ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Thanks Visitor 53. Knew they had not completely gone out of buisness but did not know they were on line.

With Jenners changing the variety is so much smaller.

We actually leave safari gear out in Diani with a friend - safari jackets,safari blouses, kacki shorts, long trousers etc to save on luggage space.

The T shirts my husband takes are purely used for holidays in Kenya and he has others at home IF we get good weather therefore they are only used on our Kenyan holidays.

Same with my cotton shorts and tops.

Find we don't get much dirt in the Mara and have noticed that the dust is far less than before in Tsavo East than before.

Just can't leave my Karen Millen dresses though or Phase Eigh or Coast or Hobbs and hubbys saville row shirts and long trousers and crombie jacket!!!!

Edited: 19 July 2011, 15:35
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

I never wear designer clothing on safari, I just get my tailor to knock me up a few things for the trip.

He's a very nice chap and does a lovely line in mole skin shorts complete with silk lining and diamond fly buttons.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

Pringles , heaven forbid its San Nicasio patatas fritas every time,

Lake Macq, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Wearing white t shirt to safari ok?

I just arrived back from the Mara and it was one of the questions I asked my Massai guide. He said it does not really matter and when you consider that most of the Massai guide wear traditional red outfits you can understand what he means. He did say that wearing white if you are specifically there to watch or photograph birds that white is definitely a no no.