We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

I'm 37 years old and live in San Diego

I'm going to Kenya this christmas vacation an am very preoccupied/anxious my uncle was mugged twice while there once in Nairobi and and in Nyieri. My father and sister travelled there a few years back and had just got out of there before the terrorist attacks. I'm am honestly very worried for the safety of my family and I. I've been to Africa once in Egypt and enjoyed it very much. Please answer ASAP as I am in need of an answer. Thank you.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

Kenya is as safe as anywhere else in the world, you just have to look at the riots in London and other English cities last week to see how trouble can flare up without warning.

Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

I live in England and have been to Kenya 7 times and returning this Christmas. I make all my own travel arrangements and travel on my mine. Personally feel safer in Kenya than I do in London if that helps you.

Fabulous Country, wonderfull people.

Level Contributor
15,068 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

Yeh, look at London and surrounds last week.

Trouble can happen anywhere.

Which terrorist attacks? Where?

The Embassy bombing? That was in 1998!

I was in Nairobi less than 2/mo later... perfectly safe.

Are people mugged in Nairobi? Of course?

In Milan? Probably. In NYC, sure. In Paris, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, other... most certainly.

That's no reason to stay in your house.. one has to be aware of their surroundings and watchful always.

You'll be fine visiting over Christmas.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,097 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

It is very safe for tourists, nearly 1¼ million visited last year and I can't remember a single incident against a tourist being reported. You might be interested in this long thread on the subject of safety from a few months ago.

As you say you live in the USA (though your location says Italy), this is an extract from one of my posts on that thread comparing terrorist attacks in Kenya and the US

<< Between 1968 and 2006 Kenya suffered 11 terrorist incidents, the USA suffered 548

In those 11 incidents 242 people were killed, these were virtually all in two incidents (20 were killed in the Norfolk Hotel bombing in 1980, and 218 of them in the US Embassy bombing in 1998, 12 of these were American),

In the 548 US incidents 3,227 people were killed, even excluding the 2,752 killed on 9/11 more than twice as many people were killed in terrorist acts in the US tnan in Kenya >>

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

Perfectly safe, if you use your common sense: no flashy jewellery or accessories, don't wave cameras/mobile phones about and be aware, at all times, of your surroundings. Don't accept food/sweets from people you don't know (obvious to some but not to others) and don't go with someone who offers to "guide you around" or tells you they have something you "must see". Don't carry large amounts of cash.

All advice I would give to someone visiting any city/country anywhere in the world. I've lived in and visited many different places in my life and where was I pickpocketed? Brussels, Belgium :-)

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
979 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

<<I'm am honestly very worried for the safety of my family and I. >>

Why, then, have you booked to go to Kenya? I wouldn't even be looking at going somewhere that would cause me angst, plenty of other places to go in the world.

Having said that, Kenya is no different to a lot of places as long as you're sensible and I'm sure you would be that, wherever you were.

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

I travelled from Kenya to UK last week. I am getting e-mails and phone calls from Kenya "Are you safe?".

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

Asifiwe - it's strange how life works!! Now the boot is on the other foot so to speak.

I would certainly (especially last week) rather be in Kenya than my own country. I would have felt much more safer too.

9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 August 2011, 10:35
San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Kenya now???

Asifiwe-I hadn't planned the trip my father did.....for my family and I.

Doffcocker- I am in Italy now as it is the summer and I am on vacation, my iPad however takes the location into consideration I always change my location while I travel. However thank you for the info on Kenya.