We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

I have chosen my safari! Woohoo! I now just have to decide a date. I will be in Kenya for about 4 weeks. I can either go on safari in early October (e.g. 10th) or late (e.g. 28th). Besides the safari I am planning to travel up the coast from Mombasa ending in Lamu, where I would like, among other things, to go snorkelling. Does it matter which way round I plan my trip in order to get the best chance of good weather for both safari and the coast?

Many thanks,

Lindesay

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

I think you agree with me, that, off-late, the weather pattern has changed ALL OVER THE WORLD.. The weather isn't going to change significantly in a 4 week period. Kenya being a tropical country, you will certainly get more sunshine than rains. And if it does rain, it's only for a few hours.

I'd do the safari FIRST & then relax & unwind at the coast.

Can i recommend "Watamu" as the choice of location for staying (& snorkelling). Waters are clear & pristine with abundance of marine life at the marine national park. Malindi is next major coastal town from Watamu (30 mins drive ) and then Lamu.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

Stef,

the point about rain in connection to snorkelling is not whether it is raining at the time you want to snorkel, it is that it causes run off into rivers, the rivers then carry the run off into the sea, which reduces visibility

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

...which is why i recommend "Watamu" as opposed to "Malindi" where the River Sabaki Estuary spews mud into the ocean after heavy rainfall.

And "Lamu" being closer to "Watamu" than "Mombasa".

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

Lindesay1, the safari timing in the month of October doesn't matter. In terms of water clarity, later in October might be a bit better, but it's a good clear month in theory. There's no real snorkelling off the beach on Lamu - you take a dhow trip out to a couple of snorkelling spots nearer the ocean itself.

Agree with Stefanilarda that Watamu is good for snorkelling - and straight off the beach. It's only a couple of hours from Mombasa, too, whereas Lamu is a flight, or a day's drive, from Mombasa.

Richard

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

Thanks a lot everyone, that's all really useful.

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

Further to these previous posts recommending Watamu over Malindi for snorkelling, can anyone comment on Kisite in comparison to Watamu? Which is better? I gather there could be a chance of seeing dolphins and maybe whales too at Kisite? Am heading down to the coast soon and may well go in both directions anyway, so could do either. Just finished safari and will post a report soon to try and pay back all the help I've had!

Thanks a lot.

7. Re: Safari & Snorkelling in October - which order, weather wise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 05:15