We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

Hi All... I know this topic has been discussed in the past however, if possible could some of the more knowledgable members of the forum clarify as to how to best approach this subject.

My wife and I will be doing a two week safari in mid-Sept. We will be visiting the usual tourist areas i.e. Mara, Samburu,Aberdares, Lake Nakuru, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire etc. after which we will be spending a week around Laikipia.

On past trips to India and China we have taken pens, pencils etc. with us. On one trip my wife packed a number of soccer balls and small pumps which she gave to local schools and orphanages.

My question is: what advice can anyone give as to what to bring with us? Pens and pencils are easy to carry however, our experience has been that giving them to individuals often creates problems. Given our itinerary do you believe we will be in a position to visit schools/orphanages/organizations where we can donate items that will benefit everyone. Is there a better method of contributing that someone can suggest?

My apologies for the "wordiness" of this post. Thank you for your responses.

Nairobi, Kenya
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

I am a Safari Guide and i always advice my Clients to carry Pens but also lots of Pencils, Erasures, Crayons and afew balls with with one or 2 pumps. The government does not fund kids in nursery schools until they start grade one. Kids have to learn writing skills, drawing etc by doing it on the ground which is always dirt. Again, Crayons are expensive and do not rank high on poor parents priorities. Such gifts serve to make schools interesting places for kids to want to be.

The schools are resuming on 5th september till end of november so you will have plenty of opportunities to donate them. best to visit a school rather than give to kids on the roadside coz majority will not have any use for them. You keep afew with you just incase a hotel staff has a small kid and will make a good gift.

You do not have to advice the school in advance, just pop-in and say you are a Tourist in kenya and wanted to see a kenyan school and that you have a some pens and pencils. Of course the schools adminstration will tell about the many challenges they face and so give a hearing. Mostly school kids will sing for and its great if you can belt one for them. Avoid if you can to give money handouts to schools. Just say you will see what you can do when your return home.

I hope above will be of help

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

you see now I am worried about passing the footballs etc; to the teachers as they themselves are reluctant to give them to the school but somehow gifts find a way of " living in someone elses establishment !!!

Personally I would indeed carry moslty pencils and if you can buy those smaller ones like they use in a betting shop ( I have been told :-) these are even better as a child will snap the pencil in half and sell it!

colouring pencils are again best bought very small in packets - here we have them in Asda or Tesco but maybe you have a Walmart outlet?

Pencil sharpeners and " small" erasers again they will cut these in half ...

Sanitary towels please for the girls* not Tampons you can pack them in a Vacuum bag or soft white material - pkt needles -thread * small sharp scissors to make their own ..Excellent gift for a school .

for your guide? perhaps a ball- colouring books pencils and few clicky pens xx

ps I said for the girls* because I saw several boys using them to shine their shoes in Kisumu lol!!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

One of the destination experts, Asifiwe, works for a huge childen's project in the Mt Elgon area of north west Kenya. If you are able to take anything in bulk to NBO she now has the facility for G4S (Securicor) to collect & deliver the goods FOC.

My local Tesco is donating me all of their 'end of line' items of children's clothing for Asifiwe which we will deliver next year. We took her 4 boxes last year. I know that she's in the UK at the moment but you'll probably be able to contact her with a PM. Good luck.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

Thanks a lot, Nic!! We have a lot more than just children involved in our Mission, but there are always children wherever you go and wherever you look! Many are VERY needy and we appreciate Nic's input a lot.

We do have to pay G4S!!

There is also a big need for the elderly and the disabled. One of our volunteers started a Knitting and Craft group for disabled ladies and I know they appreciate wool and needles.

Anyone interested can PM me and I'll give the link to our Website.

5. Re: Contributing "gifts" donations etc. to Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 02:18