We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self driving in Kenya

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
self driving in Kenya

We hope to visit kenya in february and have successfully hired cars and driven ourselves in other African countries. Can we do this is kenya? Any advise please. We try to stay in either cheap guest houses or better than that for us, chalets on camp sites. Are there such things? We only have 2 weeks and will be on a budget. can anyone advise as to what we should try and see. Of course we love wild life but the famous game reserves will be too expensive for us and we don't really want to sit in a jeep and be driven to see a lion!! has anyone been to Kruger in S.A. That is the sort of place we like, drive yourself, go where you want.

As we don't have long in the country, what is the nearest game reserve to Nairobi? and what other 'don't mniss#places are there.

We are very grateful for any suggestions. Julie

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
121. Re: self driving in Kenya

Julie,

Whoops on the name; though I did say I wasn't that awake. I am actually sending someone named Stephen around a very similar route too!

Look forward to his email.

GJ

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
122. Re: self driving in Kenya

Dear GJ, I tried to e.mail you last week but it came back undelivered. I checked the address with Andrew and he has the same!!??

We MAY have to cancel the holiday as a family member is very seriously ill, and Andrew had booked and paid for a 4x4 in full to be delivered to Wildebeest and when he contacted them re. maybe cancelling, he heard nothing back and has tried many times but got nowhere, so I reckon he has been had!!!

I am sure in the past we have settled the bill on returning the car. Andrew says he has a bad feeling now about kenya. I still want to go if possible. We will lose that 4x4 rent, but surely will be able to fix up another IF we go and. I hope we do. Meanwhile, I thank you for all your help and advice.

Julie

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
123. Re: self driving in Kenya

Dear GJ, Just to let you know the holiday is on again and we leave for Kenya on 20th jan-

We are booked 2 nights at Wildebeest and then intend to follow the route you suggested weeks ago. We have not booked any more nights. Dare we leave it and hope we find places en route ( not expensive) or can you suggest anywhere.

One more request...Karin ( Andrew's wife) has asked me to ask you if you can recommend a place to stay the last 2 days, to relax by a pool, NOT pricey!! Thanks a lot, Julie

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
124. Re: self driving in Kenya

WARNING!!!

We have had a very bad experience with the rental car company:

Kenya Budget Car Hire.(www.budgetcarhirekenya.com)

They have offices in Nairobi, Mombassa and Kisumu.

Booking a car was very fast and professional but we had to cancel it after paying the full ammount up front. We have tried to contact them both by phone and e.mail over the last 6 weeks and have had no response.

As the payment was made by credit card, there is very little hope of getting the money back.

Budget Car hire Kenya is one of the cheapest companies, but I warn you all not to book through them.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
125. Re: self driving in Kenya

We have just returned from our amazing 2 weeks in kenya. True the driving is pretty bad, though not quite so horrendous as we anticipated. The roads are worse though. Either like driving on a river bed! or the tarsealed ones have so many huge pot holes, they are even worse, BUT we survived it all and it was wonderful.Thankyou to all the experts who have answered my many questions, especially GJ.

Scenically we loved Samburu ( masses of elephants) best places for game were lake Nakuru and Masai Mara, where we saw many lions, 2 leopards and the Cheetah brothers only metres away from us.

Do go to the elephant sanctuary and also the Giraffe one. Lovely!

Don't miss the kazuri factory either VERY interesting.

Take masses of cheap ball point pens, the children are desperate for them.

All in all an unforgetable experience. I would love to return there.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
126. Re: self driving in Kenya

Good to hear you made it there and back OK! Sounds like a fun trip you had too.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
127. Re: self driving in Kenya

Glad to hear you have a great self-driving trip Herzilia!

128. Re: self driving in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:22