We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK traveller - visa question

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
UK traveller - visa question

hi, hubby & i are travelling to kenya in november (am soooo looking forward to it !!!) with thomson flying in to mombasa.

after 2 nights in beach hotel (baobab) we then go for a week long safari going in to tanzania then eventually back in to kenya to complete our beach hotel stay

do we need a multi entry kenya visa or will a single entry visa be sufficient? for that matter do we need a visa for tanzania?

is it better to get the visa from the khc in london before we go or on arrival in kenya?

tia

wendy

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK traveller - visa question

Hi.

You only need a single trip visa for Kenya as it covers short trips to the other East Africa Community member countries and Tanzania is one of them. You will need a Tanzanian visa ($100) and you will need a Yellow fever vaccination and certificate.

As for the Kenyan visa it costs a little more to get visas in advance, special delivery postage there and back, cost of a postal order and passport photos, and of course you have to trust your passport to the Royal Mail.

As you are arriving at ,Mombasa, because a charter plane full of tourists hits Immigration at the same time, it does make a difference in the time you are in the queue, the queue for people with visas is shorter than the queues for people wanting to buy them and it moves twice as fast. But once through Immigration you may still have to wait for your bags and if you are on a holiday company transfer you will still have to wait for the slowest customer.

If you want to pay at the airport, then download the form from the KHC website, if you fill it in at home, (saves the scrum for forms, pens and somewhere to write at the airport) and get seats near the front of the plane you should be near the front of the queue.

The visa is currently £30, they always accept pounds at Mombasa

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK traveller - visa question

Thanks Doff...must admit I hadn't even considered the Tanzanian visa until I wrote my post earlier ...$100 though?? ouch!!!

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK traveller - visa question

Doff, quick question

Was that $100 each or for the two of us??

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK traveller - visa question

I believe its $100 each unfortunately (haven't been myself - yet)

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: UK traveller - visa question

wendy,

They are about £40 each, and kids require them too.

GJ

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK traveller - visa question

GJ,

What currency did you pay with?

Just that I checked the Tanzania forum, and Timesharevon recently reported $100 on her trip report on this forum, and £40 is significantly less (I'm thinking of taking Wor Lass to Zanzibar)

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UK traveller - visa question

Doff,

Paid £s here before I left, it is only near Oxford St and I didn't want to 'cuff it' with the kids onboard at the border, so I popped up there. It was actually £152 for 4, so £38 each. Maybe they took sympathy on me having to buy 4!!! Funniest thing was, we never used them as the Kids were too happy to leave Kenya!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK traveller - visa question

definitely worth getting the Tanzania one in advance then, (no good for me though, unless we haven't been before I pop back to the UK in Nov)

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: UK traveller - visa question

Doff,

I normally don't bother, but it was the hassle of the kids that made me do it.

Perhaps TSV used an Agency or it was bundled in with her overall trip costs, that will always cost you more!

GJ

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK traveller - visa question

I think TSV paid at the border that's why it came as a shock, it was in her 'unexpected expenditure thread'. Certainly the posts on the TZ forum say its $100,

Any UK travellers bought TZ visas on arrival? Do they accept sterling or anything other than dollars?