We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gamewatcher safaris

swindon
Level Contributor
323 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
gamewatcher safaris

Just wondering if anyone in the UK has booked their safaris direct with this company? Their itineraries look excellent, and I know some UK operators use them for their safaris, but booking direct looks a lot cheaper, and cuts out the middle man. Our concern is obviously about security of deposit (they are obviously not ABTA covered) and paying in US dollars.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Eric

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Perfectly responsible and reputable company.

Been in business for years and provides an outstanding product... whether their Porini Camps or others that might be of interest to you.

As with travel anywhere, be sure to purchase Trip Insurance.

2. Re: gamewatcher safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 July 2012, 16:18
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Forgive me Stef, but that is quite possibly the most ludicrous thing you have posted on TA – but perhaps it will (inadvertently) help as Eric can read the tributes to Gamewatchers in the topic you have flagged up and not just the headline of the original post.

Eric – on the link provided by Stef, see post 3, by the MD of Gamewatchers, Jake Grieves-Cook who has a distinguished career in Kenyan tourism. Why not Google him and have a look at his track record.

BTW, I am an advocate of anyone in the UK thinking long and hard about booking the whole package including international flights through a UK travel agent/tour operator as you get both financial protection (if the tour operator is ATOL bonded) and consumer protection (with the EU Package Travel Regulations). This is not a view not shared by everyone on these forums! – but in this case even I might actually make an exception if the numbers were right and you couldn’t get a UK operator to match the price that you get by booking direct with Gamewatchers and the airline of your choice.

BB

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Staf,

If you read the majority of reviews and comments by people; it seems that is nearly a one off issue by a one time poster.

I have bumped into various people on the ground who had used or were actually using them and never heard a bad word about them.

Whilst having never used them or anyone else to visit, I think it is a bit harsh of you to re-post what appears to be drivel.

GJ

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Stef, I wonder about you sometimes. The things you come out with....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gamewatcher safaris

We booked through Virgin and stayed at porini lion camp- a gamewatchers camp. It was excellent. I contacted gamewatchers before we went as i couldn't find some information from virgin and gamewatchers were very helpful. We met other people at the camp who had booked through gamewatchers and had been to other porini camps- they had had a great time and spoke highly of gamewatchers.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Yeh Stef... I'm sure about that, as the subsequent replies indicate.

One 'pissed off' client doesn't tell the whole story and even in that thread most thought the one (only) poster was way off the mark.

Invariably, there will always be a client or two that doesn't like or is disappointed about something, but a flat out statement as you made is unnecessary.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Well, the OP has read "both" sides of the story.

Good Luck in decision making.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Not surprised Stef comments on every posting on the forum, even if he has no idea on the topic of discussion, Game watchers is a reputable company no doubt.

Good luck

Allan

swindon
Level Contributor
323 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gamewatcher safaris

Many thanks for all your comments, almost all very positive. Looks like we will go through them, have spoken to their UK office (Robyn) and she seemed very professional and helpful.

Eric