We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some last minute questions

new jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some last minute questions

Many thanks to everyone on this forum from whom we have gotten some great information. We are leaving shortly for our first trip to Kenya and have some last minute questions:

1. We read on the tip guide on TA that we should tip the airport driver 100 ksh. Is that the correct amount? It seems extremely low to us, so we wanted to make sure. If that is correct, do we tip per person or just the 100 ksh? Also, we will be going from the Stanley in Nairobi to the Carnivore restaurant (as part of our tour) for dinner. How much should we tip the driver to take us there?

2. We will be ending our trip in Diani Beach at the Papillion for several days of relaxation before heading home to the US. Do you have any suggestions for things to do in the area? We are not good at just sitting on the beach! Is there shopping in the area? I would like to purchase a Christmas ornament or two, if possible, as a souvenir. Any suggestions about where to get same? I'm not even sure if they will have them in Kenya, but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some last minute questions

You're right, 100 is rather low since they rely on tips.

I suggest you give the airport driver a tip of 500 ksh.

The tour driver should get 1000 ksh per day.If you're not satisfied with their services, then give them the minimum.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some last minute questions

Kenya: Tipping & Etiquette

Read here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-s606/Kenya:…

Day excursion to Wasini (Dolphin Tous) further down from Diani.

http://www.wasini.com/

http://www.pillipipa.com/

Plenty of shops at Diani Shopping Centre:

http://www.dianishopping.com/shops/

sandstormkenya.com/blog/sandstorm-kenya-shop…

Sandstorm sells some good stuff.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some last minute questions

If looking for a Christmas ornament on the Diani Coast I have never seen any in any of the shops at the main shopping centre or other.

One year we bought wooden ornaments like a Santa Claus from the hotel boutique but that was a one off.

I bought a nativity scene from a curio seller on the beach with the full Christmas scene inside many years ago - Joseph, Mary, cradle with baby Jesus , three Kings etc but i haven't seen any on display at the curio shops where we are for several years now (Southern Palms)

I am sure if you ask a curio seller to make to order he will or go to Akamba works in Mombasa and ask there and will carve specially for you.

Certainly the one I have I put Christmas lights around the covering roof and figures inside and looks amazing in the dark.

We normally tip safari driver 1000khs per day but after safari and a little extra as we know him well and taxi driver 500 khs from Moi airport to the coast.

Diani shopping Centre has a lot of shops - Diani Jewellers,Ina's boutique a favourite of mine, AM/pm SHOP, Tam Tam tailoring, a bead shop but this shop imports from the UK! Several other clothes shops and you may pick up something from Nakumatt the new supermarket on the South Coast near to you.

I have never heard of Sandstorm Kenya Shop in the main shopping centre and certainly did not see this shop when out in May/June or it would have come to my attention!!

The only other place where you may get something for Christmas would be at duty free on the way home - I know I have obtained some magnets at one point.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Some last minute questions

Current exchange USD/KSH is $1=90Ksh.

Thus 100Ksh is a tad over $1.

Suggest $5 for the meet/greet/transfer driver/vehicle from Airport to Hotel.

At conclusion of tour, if a full day including dinner, you can tip up to $10.

No comment on things to do/where on the coast.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some last minute questions

Sorry -misread your post, if it's X'Mas ornament you're after, then you won't find something suitable at Sandstorm.

"Sandstorm" do have a outlet in "Diani Beach Shopping Centre". Currently under renovation will open in weeks time.

www.sandstormkenya.com/diani-beach-p-102.html

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some last minute questions

I will believe it when I see it and make a point of looking for this particular shop.

Certainly no shop was under renovation when I was there in May/June and I know all the shops in that area.!

May get a pleasant surprise.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 08:10
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some last minute questions

We'll just have 2 wait & see.

Ciao - Stef the Don

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some last minute questions

I realized that I posted my question under my husband's account. Thanks for the info -- I love the idea of getting to do some shopping while in Diani!

Mal - I would love to find a nativity set since I do try and collect those too along with Christmas ornaments from our trips -- I bet it is awesome!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some last minute questions

Hi

I found in some of the lodges I stayed (Samburu Simba, Keekorok and Amboseli Kilima) that they all had the nativity scenes - some little wooden huts with the usual crowd in them and some made from the huge seed pods - beautiful and very different. We also found some Father Christmas and Angels made from banana leaves, painted. There were also a couple of shops in the Sarit Centre in Nairobi selling these.

I've also bought them from the boutique shop in Voyager at Nyali. I also saw the same in the duty free shops at Nairobi airport. I appreciate that most of the stuff I saw was in Nairobi but I'm assuming, then, that particularly at this time of year you will also find them in Mombasa.

Enjoy your trip.

Min xx

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some last minute questions

You can buy the nativity scene enclosed in half moon shaped "bark" box in the Mombasa duty free - as you enter the departure area the shop is on the right hand side near the glass VIP lounge doors, last December they cost $12

for some reason I have never seen them in Nairobi duty free ..

the boutiques in the shopping mall have these figures in a square "bark " covered box and these are a bit more superior costing 2,200ksh