We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

We have been planning 3 nights in Lamu for 6 of us including 2 granddaughters ages 6 & 9. The incident at Kiwayu did not deter us, but this incident at Manda has tipped us over the edge. I personally don't think that we would be in any real danger in Lamu, but if any one of us is really worried, my daughter is, and therefor could never relax, would always be looking over her shoulder or scanning the sea, then we need to find someplace else to go. Of course the whole trip is already paid for, but that is another story.

We are doing a few days in Nairobi, then three nights at Kichwa Tembo in the Mara and now need to add another game park to replace the three nights that had been scheduled for Lamu. We are flying to the Mara and were going to fly to Lamu, so we can plan to fly to the new game park

Which game park would you recommend where we could stay in a very good camp or lodge and see lots of animals? Thinking about Meru, but not sure about abundance of animals and difficulty of getting there.

Thanks,

Jim

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

Thanks rog747. I know what the advice says, but are you saying that Belgians or Kiwis can still go to Lamu as they're not Brits?

I'm not being deliberately pedantic but some travellers think FCO advice is a legal edict, or automatically invalidates travel insurance.

Richard

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

HI

i can only comment on British nationals re our own new FCO advice which includes now to avoid the Lamu area of Kenya...

other foreign nationals must check their own latest embassy advice.

and yes it is a legal edict which will invalidate one's travel insurance if one chose to ignore that FCO advice and you still choose to visit those areas now advised against...you will NOT be covered if you run into any problems, even medical or theft...let alone anything else.

UK tour operators are obliged to change or refund any arrangements made for Lamu and affected areas whilst that advice stands...

hope this is clear...

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

I remember when the FCO advised against travel post-election that Norwich Union still offered travel insurance cover for all the common things (cancellation, loss of baggage) and also medical cover providing you were not injured as a result of the troubles. Many other companies wouldn't quote full stop,

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

Tembofan is correct.

The FCO's advice has no legal standing. The majority of insurance underwriters choose to follow it, but they're not under any obligation to do so any more than they are obliged to provide cover in a country that they don't consider safe even if the FCO does.

Check what the FCO says about this: fco.gov.uk/en/…

"Our travel advice is a service that aims to give British travellers the information they need to make their own informed decisions about travelling to a particular country.

Any decision to travel to, stay in or leave a country is for you to take on your own responsibility, on the basis of the best available information from our travel advice and from other sources.

Travel insurance companies sometimes refer to our travel advice in their policies. For example, your policy may not provide cover if you travel to a country where we advise against all or all but essential travel."

Richard

Edited: 04 October 2011, 18:58
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

It certainly invalidates some sections of my travel insurance! However, I know what you mean Richard (clue is in the word advice).

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

I think you'd still find some insurers prepared to insure for stays on Lamu Island, or even specifically Lamu town, but not other parts of the Lamu archipelago.

Ultimately, regardless of nationality, it's down to each traveller to decide.

Richard

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

and re UK travel insurance cover

i think you will now find that UK travel insurance companies will be very unlikely these days to cover you for anything if you travel against FCO advice for tourists (non-essential travel)

be wise, do not assume, check your cover and double check it!

I hope things stay ok as i am off to meru and shaba next month!

18. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 October 2011, 19:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

hi lol and hello

i merely came into this one to answer the chap in the OP who wants a choice iso Lamu...

i have seen loads of 'is it safe to go to Kenya' threads and thanks for the links...i really did not want to be drawn into major security conflab lol

the main Tour Op's from the UK will heed the new FCO advice and move people and that's why i said Lamu is now sadly a no-go for brits...

but,

obviously backpackers and the more intrepid of us may still want to go to Lamu AYOR and that's where Richard has come in i suppose...

he must know that region but mainstream tour-op booked Brits will probably not.

which is why the OP wants a safer in his view alternative....

my posts were all common sense... having worked in the airline and travel industry for 30 years i know in the UK that insurance and travel companies will wiggle out of anything at the drop of the hat these days!

epesh if the foreign office advises don't go there lol

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Regretfully must cancel Lamu, which game park to now add?

<<insurance and travel companies will wiggle out of anything at the drop of the hat these days!>>

So true!

Thanks rog. Just wanted to be clear for people that these things are a matter of choice. Not every country has a national travel advisory service, and if your government doesn't offer advice, then you simply have to use whatever sources you can find. And in fact the same applies to everyone.

Personally speaking, as of now, I wouldn't take my family to Manda, and I probably wouldn't want to stay there myself. I would be comfortable staying in Lamu town. Though ironically if you fly, the planes land on Manda and then a small launch carries passengers across the channel to Lamu town.

Richard